Chick with twisted leg and curled feet- advice please

houdanqueen

Chirping
Jun 8, 2016
I had to assist hatch a shrinkwrapped chick yesterday, and noticed once it fluffed out that it has curled feet, and one of its legs is twisted ( points in at the hock, and out at the feet). This of course has made it unable to get around.
I did splint the feet, and placed it in a small container to keep its legs in the right position until tomorrow, as It was impossible to band it in the right position.
I'm keeping a close eye on it, since it's unable to move and adjust its temperature, and am hopeful that tomorrow it will look a bit better.
I know there is a good possibility I'll need to cull this one, but was just looking for advice on what else I could do to give it a fighting chance. It has lots of spunk, and I want to give it my best before giving up. Any advice it appreciated.

Last edited:
I know this is a busy forum, so wanted to bump my post up as this is a time sensitive question :).

I had a chick like this. I too tried what you did but ultimately the chick died. I think sometimes they have other issues going on. I am not discouraging you from trying but just know some issues cannot be fixed. Can you post pics? Maybe it is not the case with this little one. I do applaud your effort!!!

Thanks for the reply.
I do think I will end up having to cull him, but just want to try my best first.
The curled toes look quite a bit better today, but that leg is still messed up. I banded his legs and placed him in a walker until tomorrow evening to keep them in mostly the correct position. If there's no change by then I will put him down. Just disappointing as this little guy is the first Houdan egg I've been able to hatch :(. Put 7 more in the incubator today. Hope I don't mess these ones up.

I recently hatched a set of Embden goslings. As one was hatching, I saw a foot was right next to the bill. I am completely new to this, first hatch. I assisted the gosling to hatch and ended up with a hunchback gosling. Sibs were normal. I thought it would die, but to my surprise it straightened up enough to eat and drink pretty normally. The gosling is now about 8-9 weeks old, still pretty crooked, and living outdoors with 25 3-4 week old sibs and its extended family. I won't use for breeding, but if it grows well, with cull later.

Back
Top Bottom