chick with weird posture...any ideas??

kahlua

Songster
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
NJ
One of my wheaten marans chick is having some issues. I'm not sure exactly when I started to notice, maybe in the last 4-5 days, but initially I believe she looked okay. She is about a week and a half to two weeks old. She seems to hold her wings high, almost crossed over her back. And when she stands, she stands with her butt up high and her head down lower. I can't exactly pinpoint if the problem is in her legs or her wings or somewhere else, has anyone ever seen anything like this??

From the top - she holds her wings almost up over her back.

From the back - her legs seem okay??

Next to a normal sibling

Is there anything I can do - or is this a definite cull or should I wait and see how she develops?
The chicks were shipped from WA to NY. I picked them up about 9 days ago. None of the others are having any issues. They are getting chick starter, the brooder is heated, they get water from a milk jug with a nipple waterer.
She gets around okay, and can flap her wings, so I am not sure what to think!

After doing some research online I am wondering if this might be rickets? The chicks are eating only their starter feed so shouldn't have a deficiency, but I am going to try giving this chick Nutri Drench to see if that makes a difference, unless of course anyone has another suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom