Chick won't lay down to sleep

so yours eventually layed down? that would be a blessing because I have one that isn't. it also chirps loudly. it would fall over and get pecked by the others so we isolated it. could it be so simple as not knowing how to lay down? or do you think it's in pain? it had what appeared to be a scab on the belly, and it may have a distended belly (it looks like it). I also wonder if its head is too big and makes it fall over. It is also very sleepy , falls asleep, and falls over. any results from your chicks everyone? did they make it?

it was picked on by the other chicks there and would topple over. we got it to try to help it. we have it separate from our other chicks. it seems that maybe it has a big head and that throws its balance off.
Additional Details

all the other chicks run around, jump, etc... this one just stands there holding itself up with its legs stretched out, falls asleep standing, falls over, and has to struggle to get back on it's feet to repeat the same cycle again.

what should I do?

Last edited:
How is your chick doing? I have a 3 day old chick that is doing exactly what you have described. It was hatched in an incubator. It eats and drinks...but will not lay down! It just seems so frail and sickly, but just keeps going...have you figured anything out yet?

I'd suggest you bring it to a vet. If you don't it may die. I prayed that if it died it would be in its sleep, and one night when it went to sleep it didn't wake up. It was a blessing it didn't have to suffer then, but I wish I would have taken it to the vet. I hope that helps. Sorry for the little one... Oh, and if you find out what's wrong and how to help it, or if it can be helped, PLEASE POST IT ON HERE AND LET US KNOW. It would mean a lot to us. Thank you.

Last edited:
We had one in our batch of 10 that was like this- stood up to sleep, never grew like the others, MUCH slower rate of growth, slower to feather out. I was sure we were going to lose it, but we have had them for one month (we got them June 1 at about 2 weeks old) and just last week I finally dared to put it outside with its siblings. I had kept it inside with two other chicks 4 weeks younger but roughly the same size. It still usually does stand to sleep, and as the runt is more picked on, but it is getting along OK with the others. It will probably always be smaller than the rest (currently about half the size of the other chicks its age), but I think it is going to pull through. It finally has feathers filling in and the constant chirping has stopped. I hope after going through all this it is a pullet! Just wanted to put the word out that these runts CAN make it.

I have the EXACT same problem with my little Bantam chick!!
She has severely splayed legs, and very curled toes....Unfortunately, I didn't notice until she was 3 days old :( She has her legs banded now, and her toes are being straightened with a piece of bandaid which I change regularly to give room for growth.... The toes are healing straight surprisingly well, and she seems to be able to get around ok, but she will not lay down! Ever! She just shakes and "whimpers" all the time! Heartbreaking and frustrating. :p
After 4 days, her legs are still refusing to heal correctly, so I decided to pull her from the "rehab center" where she was with one other buddy, and put her in with the other girls. She seems so happy with the group of chicks and has been leaning on them a lot to sleep. I keep seeing her sink lower and lower as she leans on them....so, here's hoping she'll remember how good laying down feels and start resting tonight! :)

Ach I have a bantam doing this too! I found this thread hoping for a reason/solution :( Same thing - has pasty bum and a slight splay leg but eats/drinks and can be pretty spunky. Hoping my little "guy" pulls through, it was also my first and successful hatch assist.

I know this was a few years ago, I'm just wondering if any of your chicks got better? I am having the same problem as you have all explained
1f629.png

I've got one like that. She's also been my "problem child", as you say. All the other chicks will be sprawled on their chests or on their sides and she's up on her feet, often making sad little peeps. She's the one who has had pasty bottom since the beginning and at 3 weeks old, is less than half the size of her age-mates. I'm guessing that my problem child and your problem child would be culled if they were being raised in either a factory farm or somewhere where they were looking to improve the breed. I'm just trying to keep them all alive and think we're finally over the hump.

Good luck.
How do you help them lay down , I can’t seem to get mine to lay down at all it’s like her little legs are so stiff and she won’t even squat to poop? I’m new to chickens so I’m not sure what to do to help

Back
Top Bottom