Chick won't stop screaming & flailing

2sparrows

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2022
So, I have an almost 4 wk old chick. The day he was hatched, I pulled him out from underneath his mother and took him inside. It was within minutes I found poultry lice. Everyone got treated with elector psp. Coops, too.
He's been fine up until the last several days.
At first I thought one of the other chicks were picking on him bc I would hear him randomly scream out like he was in pain.
So, I decided to place him in a small box on a towel next to me in bed, just so I could monitor him. It was probably about three times her screamed & jumped out of his box and ran to me. So I thought (I desperately hoped) it was just him wanting to sleep on my chest (he's my little buddy) & I just kept placing him back in the box.
The next day he seemed fine. Until night time again. But this time, him on my chest, watching TV, he screamed, jumped up and just ran up to my shoulder.
Long story short, it has progressed into him screaming out already about 7 times in the last few hours, flailing about and shaking his head.
Yesterday, Google said possible lice or mites in the ear could cause that. Made sense. And he scratches at it. But didn't scratch anywhere else or over preen. He's generally a little rascal that had figured out how to get out of his tote and loves you explore. Last couple of days not as much.
I just pulled something he found on the ground out if his mouth (like dry grass, bug leg, no telling... Just ground stuff you can track in) & there was what seemed like a string of saliva, real thin, but attached to it.
I feel dumb, but do they even have stringy saliva?
What in wondering is, there's no way to see lice in his ear. But I have elector. Or could it be an ear infection and I treat with the off brand deneguard I just got a few days ago? I'm not real big on just administering meds blindly, but I feel I need to treat this fast. It's increased enough that were all losing sleep and I hate seeing my little guy suffer.
He is VERY SPECIAL as he's an offspring that hatched the day my favorite roo died. I can't lose him, too.
How do I know if it's an ear infection or lice? Or is there anything else it would be?

Look in the ear, is there any pus or bugs?
For lice, look through the feathers for crawling bugs.

Look inside the beak for a hair or string that may be in the throat.

What do you feed?
Photos of poop?

Video of actions? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Back
Top Bottom