Chicken acting like she's drunk, help

hisdaughter

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Lakeland
4 days ago I noticed one of my 14 chickens was sitting down a lot. The next night she wasn't roosting so I put her up there and she was having trouble keeping her balance. Yesterday and today she's been acting drunk or like the videos of the cows with "mad cow" disease. She can no longer stand or keep herself upright. If I pick her up the legs will move and work but if I put her down she's falling over or leaning to the side. Doesn't have any other symptoms and continues to eat, drink and poop. The poop does look a little runny today so I will worm her but any suggestions would help. I know some might say cull but I would like to give it a chance. Please advise. Thanks in advance

We had a turkey hen with the same symptoms. 'Drunk' really was the best way to describe it. Our best guess was a brain issue, physical or infection we still don't know. It was suggested to be a possible e-coli infection, we never really got a good answer though.

Anyways, we kept her in a horse stall bedded with straw. Heat lamp and food and water within reach. When she was still mobile she would try to walk and end up running into the walls a lot, so we had to check on her a few times per day to put her back by the feeders. She got progressively worse for a few weeks, plateaued for about another week, but started getting better over a course of 2-3 months. By 2 1/2 months she was able to go out with the rest of the flock for a few hours/day, by 3 months she was out again full time.

We call her 'Tipsy' cause she still has her bad moments. She's very prone to getting left behind when out ranging, and she still can't fly. Has to sleep on the ground because she can't roost overnight. (Makes an excellent broody though!)

Recovery was a long long process, we tried everything from vit. supplements to antibiotics all the way though herbal cures. Nothing helped any more then time did. We gave up on quarantine procedures after two weeks and none of the other birds showed and signs of illness.

Good luck with your girl!

I have a chicken that started acting the same way today, Just wondering if your chicken ever recovered and you found out the issue. Kinda worried about my chick. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom