Chicken acting strange....

Fowl lover

Hatching
Apr 27, 2017
Hello guys.....i bought a wheaten maran hen about 2 weeks ago.The hen looks to be about 1.5 to 2 years of age as the seller told me.What the hen does is sit on the nest for about an hour everyday and then when i check there is no egg in the nest and one more thing when i bought her 2 weeks ago she silently goes to the nesting area without making any noise but this week she started making the sound which the hen usually makes before laying egg.Today she made such noise and then went to the nesting area and then about an hour she make the rooster noise i thought she laid the egg finally but as usual nothing in the nest......Kindly help me with this this behavior is strange...
idunno.gif

Last edited:
From your description of your hen's behavior, I would guess she's working her way toward laying her first egg following the stress of moving to a new flock and environment.

Try slipping a heating pad on the lowest setting under the nesting material in the nest box when you anticipate her using the nest. It will help her relax and get the egg out. Then she should be good to lay regularly once again.

Thanks for your reply.Yup you're right this could be due to the stress of moving to the new flock.I will try to put the heating pad ASAP to help her relax.

Back
Top Bottom