Chicken and dogs advise

Sep 15, 2021
Iowa
Well I got a new pup and she is amazing. She is fully trained. And will be a year in a month. So i have started my chicken training. Any ideas? She was out in the yard well the chickens were free ranging. She was very curious but when I told her to back up and sit she watched them. then when realised started playing in the yard and didnt bother them at all. Anyway i am wonder obviously i should be out there for the first year of training. So after that and she completes it well should I trust her outside by herself? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

I like to watch dogs out with chickens for nearly the first two years. There will still be times where you will need to intervene during that time with most dogs. Generally, I start letting dog out without supervision after dark and pen it up before chickens come off roost. I still keep my head on a swivel for changes.

I like to watch dogs out with chickens for nearly the first two years. There will still be times where you will need to intervene during that time with most dogs. Generally, I start letting dog out without supervision after dark and pen it up before chickens come off roost. I still keep my head on a swivel for changes.
Ok good to know thanks. I have st. Bernard that does great with them so I am trying to teach this one and she doing great. But my head hen will get big and flap at my little dog if she gets to close. And she is a very docile and will step down when other tell her to. She only about 25 lbs but I will keep in mind two years. My plan was to be out with her for a year and then next year watch from inside and shock if needed and then let her just hang out if all goes well but I might switch it up thanks for the advise. Will have an older role model help?

Still I would keep her in sight for the year at least .. Some have used a kennel inside the chicken yard as in fence style

I have a 1 year old German Shepherd who I am still training with my chickens. She is doing very well with them so far, but I still do not trust her outside by herself with them. I am using a muzzle and shock collar. I started off by putting a muzzle, shock collar, and leash on. I would walk her around the chickens while holding the leash, if she tried to get a chicken or was getting excited about them I would shock her. I would do that until I trusted her without holding the leash. I then would not hold onto the leash and let her roam around with the chickens. Once I trusted her with that I would take her muzzle off and hold onto the leash, with her shock collar still on. Then I would take her muzzle off and let her roam around, and If she ever made any movement of going after a chicken I would shock her. I also would put a chicken right in front of her, while she had her muzzle on, she did not care. But when she has her muzzle she calms down a lot, and acts very sad. Right now I am putting her shock collar on, and sometimes her muzzle. She has not killed a chicken yet, and I do not think she will. I am getting chicks soon so I wonder what she will think of them! Also what breed is your dog? Depending on the breed of dog you have matters too. There are hunting dogs and herding dogs, so some breeds will go after chickens more than others. Good luck!

I have a 1 year old German Shepherd who I am still training with my chickens. She is doing very well with them so far, but I still do not trust her outside by herself with them. I am using a muzzle and shock collar. I started off by putting a muzzle, shock collar, and leash on. I would walk her around the chickens while holding the leash, if she tried to get a chicken or was getting excited about them I would shock her. I would do that until I trusted her without holding the leash. I then would not hold onto the leash and let her roam around with the chickens. Once I trusted her with that I would take her muzzle off and hold onto the leash, with her shock collar still on. Then I would take her muzzle off and let her roam around, and If she ever made any movement of going after a chicken I would shock her. I also would put a chicken right in front of her, while she had her muzzle on, she did not care. But when she has her muzzle she calms down a lot, and acts very sad. Right now I am putting her shock collar on, and sometimes her muzzle. She has not killed a chicken yet, and I do not think she will. I am getting chicks soon so I wonder what she will think of them! Also what breed is your dog? Depending on the breed of dog you have matters too. There are hunting dogs and herding dogs, so some breeds will go after chickens more than others. Good luck!
She is a cockapoo. I did not do a mussel and have not used a shock collar even though I have it on her. She has just been a good interested and really doesnt see interest in them.

I know everyone has already commented to watch her, but I just wanted to say, if it's a breed that isn't 100% bred for livestock guarding I would never leave her fully unattended with the birds.

I've known quite a few dogs that are fantastic when someone is there, but then they leave and the dog chases/stomps on/kills birds and livestock. Even 100% trained, dogs still have instincts.

I know everyone has already commented to watch her, but I just wanted to say, if it's a breed that isn't 100% bred for livestock guarding I would never leave her fully unattended with the birds.

I've known quite a few dogs that are fantastic when someone is there, but then they leave and the dog chases/stomps on/kills birds and livestock. Even 100% trained, dogs still have instincts.
Good to know thanks

Back
Top Bottom