Chicken antibiotics

Fish mox is amoxicillin with a fish label. The capsules are 250mg or 500mg. Dose for a chicken is on 250mg capsule or divide a 500 in half.

Unfortunately, bumblefoot responds poorly to amoxycillin and even most stronger antibiotics. You are going to need to do surgery.

Don't get alarmed over the word. Surgery may need to be no more than just scraping the scabs off with a thumb nail. But the pus plugs need to be removed as that's where the staph bacteria is, and there will be no healing until it's out of there. Soak in 100F water with half a cup Epsom salts plus a squirt of Dawn dish detergent which is highest in surfactants, which make water wetter and will soften the scabs into pliable tissue.

Unfortunately, bumblefoot responds poorly to amoxycillin and even most stronger antibiotics. You are going to need to do surgery.

Don't get alarmed over the word. Surgery may need to be no more than just scraping the scabs off with a thumb nail. But the pus plugs need to be removed as that's where the staph bacteria is, and there will be no healing until it's out of there. Soak in 100F water with half a cup Epsom salts plus a squirt of Dawn dish detergent which is highest in surfactants, which make water wetter and will soften the scabs into pliable tissue.
I tried that yesterday to start, but there is almost no scab / plug, so I can't really scrape it with my nail like I wanted.

Attachments

• 20230908_102828.jpg
    20230908_102828.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
If there is no scab or plug, then it's not bumblefoot, but a minor abrasion that should heal on it's own. Some photos with an explanation of what it is you're concerned about would be helpful.

If there is no scab or plug, then it's not bumblefoot, but a minor abrasion that should heal on it's own. Some photos with an explanation of what it is you're concerned about would be helpful.
Here entire footpad is completely swollen on each foot (circled in blue), and there is what looks like only a tiny speck of a plug in the middle.

It looks to me as if I could have seen a plug previously, and was able to push it out, but maybe there was still active infection going on underneath, and it got sealed up in there? I can tell she's having trouble on her feet and using her wings to help her balance, even on the ground. Her feet are alarmingly puffy.

Attachments

• 20230908_102828.jpg
    20230908_102828.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Do you know the age and health history of this chicken? Do you know if she currently or at one time has had a respiratory infection? It may be swelling of the extremities from Mycoplasma synoviae.

Another thing that comes to mind is inflammation from jumping down from a too high perch onto insufficient bedding to cushion the feet against bruising. The small scabs at center of the pads lends weight to this possibility. Also, her walking would be painful.

@dawg53 do you have time to look at this?

Last edited:
Do you know the age and health history of this chicken? Do you know if she currently or at one time has had a respiratory infection? It may be swelling of the extremities from synovitis.

Another thing that comes to mind is inflammation from jumping down from a too high perch onto insufficient bedding to cushion the feet against bruising. The small scabs at center of the pads lends weight to this possibility. Also, her walking would be painful.

@dawg53 do you have time to look at this?
Well, she's my chicken. Could she have had that sort of respiratory infection without me realizing? What would the other symptoms be?

We discovered mites in the coop, so this past month we have been battling that. Pulled out all of our usual deep bedding and put down cardboard and minimal bedding so that I could pick it up and clean and spray the coop with permethrin, so they do have less bedding in there than usual, at least until I'm satisfied that the mites are gone. I would say it's definitely possible since the distance is higher than normal and she would have landed on the ground. Why, specifically, would that have made her feet swell up so badly? And if that's what's happened, how can I treat it?

Back
Top Bottom