Chicken ate decayed meat

Today shes walking around like a borb. My other chook is running back and forth in the coop like a loon. The one thats "sick" laid a giant white lumpy crap and then headed outside like she was fine. They all had their treats and went out. I put a tarp over the carcasses. There was one wrapped in a garbage bag that had peck holes in it. I think it was the bobcat that was inside his shed defrosting next to the heater for months.

I went searching in their poop pile and found a soft shelled egg on top with blood on it. Theres blood down the wall to the floor. Not alot, but a tiny trickle.

Attachments

• 20180213_093532.jpg
    20180213_093532.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 10
The shell-less egg that was collapsed might be a sign of laying problems, which can cause inactivity, lethargy, and no appetite. With chickens, sometimes it can be a guessing game to know what is wrong.

Chickens can tolerate rotten meat better than you should tolerate your neighbors risky behavior of leaving dead carcasses nearby. Those present an attractive nuisance to attract all sorts of vermin, scavengers (including ones that can hurt you and/or damage your property such as bears, wild cats and dogs, and rats).
Everything in moderation is key...

Chickens can tolerate rotten meat better than you should tolerate your neighbors risky behavior of leaving dead carcasses nearby. Those present an attractive nuisance to attract all sorts of vermin, scavengers (including ones that can hurt you and/or damage your property such as bears, wild cats and dogs, and rats).
Everything in moderation is key...
He's getting a call from the community about it. Don't know why he didn't take them to the back woods. I put one of his tarps over it for now. Maybe ill just put my taxidermy gear on and dump them far away myself. Then have a tomato bath. Boy they stink. My girls look fine now. They drink electrolytes,acv,and probios. A quick recovery

Feeding chickens maggots can result in them getting botulism. The maggots ingest the tainted meat, the chickens eat the maggots, and the botulism toxin comes with the maggots. The same thing can also happen with meal worms.

Maggots can also carry coccidosis. I learned that the hard way, and lost a darling little Legbar juvenile from a particularly virulent form of coccidosis because of it. She was well beyond the first couple of weeks when one first worries about cocci, so I was shocked. It took me a lot of research to figure out how it happened.

I'm certain this isn't the case here, but any time I see maggots being discussed, I take time to mention it. Mainly because people seldom realize it's a possibility.

I, too, would be concerned about botulism, and a few other nasty diseases are possibilities, as well. Getting a vet's input would be helpful if it's at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom