Chicken attacked by flock during night

Thanks, that is discouraging that you think they are crowded. I don't know what I can do about that.

The ventilation should be good inside this coop, the air comes in from underneath and their is roof ventilation, so even in our super hot Florida simmers it seems to stay cool enough at night. Maybe I am making a mistake putting the oven liners over the mesh floor?

The roost bar is a 2x4 with the 2" side up, which I thought was common for warm climates. Perhaps I could add a 2x4 the other way on top of the one that is there.

The second nest was added recently, should I take it out to allow more space? I have a nest box outside, and only one chicken is laying now anyway.
You know what you might do is put both nesting boxes outside in the run area underneath one end of the a-frame...that will give them more room. I see that you are in Florida so cold is really not going to be a problem. I would, however, place your nesting boxes up on some cinder blocks so they don't get 'damp'. An even better idea, since it appears that you 'move' that tractor around (?) is to permanently attach two nest box setups on the end where that wheel is...that way when you move it, the boxes go with you.

As for the 2 x 4 YES do attach a second 2 x 4 laying flat on top of the existing one, if you can't remove the one that's there now. In fact, make your new roost bar the full length of the coop now that the nesting boxes are moved...that will give the girls more room on the bar for sure!

I wish you all the very best, and update us as you progress with your changes!
frow.gif

An addition shouldn't be as costly as starting over with a new coop. Any way to add space to existing structure. It does look tight in there. There is no way my 5 large fowl Orpingtons would fit in there comfortably. Good luck. LMS

The only options for addressing a crowding issue are reduce the number of birds or increase the amount of space (build).

Yes, of course.

Iwiw60, thank you for some very helpful suggestions. I will see if I can't put some of those ideas to work. I am not much of a carpenter, but I can certainly attach a 2x4 to a 2x2. New nest boxes are a little more of a thing. I will give it some thought.

It is odd, because there has never been a problem until now. I have never heard a peep out of the coop at night, and they generally all bunch up in there apparently by choice. Perhaps that is changing now that they are coming into maturity? The one hen who is laying does seem more assertive than she used to be.

And I wonder if the nests have made things feel more crowded than before.

Last edited:
And while we are at it, what is minimum size for nesting boxes for full size chickens?
Here's a few pics to give you some ideas both for types of nest boxes and size:

You could simply make only 2 of those pic'd above.

Using 5-gal. buckets works, too!

Or just go to the store, buy 2 18-gallon Rubbermaid buckets, cut a hole...voila!

As I said before, you really need to get rid of those nesting areas up in your tractor and move them to outside of it so your girls will have more room in the coop itself....

Let me know what you decide to do!!
frow.gif

Actually, my first egg was laid in an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote that I turned into a nest box and set under the slide portion of my outdoor play set. It is right on the ground, though, and I think it should be higher up.

My laying hen has since chosen to lay in the coop. I suppose if she doesn't have that option she will lay where she has to.

My outdoor nest box isn't really totally weatherproof. Don't these outdoor nesting boxes of whatever type need to be under some kind of overhang?

Also, since my more mature Orpington has begun to lay, she has now asserted herself as top chicken. Is this common? Do their personalities change once they reach sexual maturity?

Last edited:
Actually, my first egg was laid in an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote that I turned into a nest box and set under the slide portion of my outdoor play set. It is right on the ground, though, and I think it should be higher up
My laying hen has since chosen to lay in the coop. I suppose if she doesn't have that option she will lay where she has to.

My outdoor nest box isn't really totally weatherproof. Don't these outdoor nesting boxes of whatever type need to be under some kind of overhang?

Also, since my more mature Orpington has begun to lay, she has now asserted herself as top chicken. Is this common? Do their personalities change once they reach sexual maturity?
Yes, you could put 2 of those 18-gal. Rubbermaid totes (with the lids on) under your tractor on the side closest to that wheel thing. That way they'll be out of the weather. Like I said previously since your coop is so small the only quick alternative you have right now, short of rebuilding, is to remove those 2 nesting things up in the coop completely and put a 2 x 4 laying flat all the way across from one end to the other on top of that existing roost.

Oh yes, indeed! Your BO is obviously at the top of the pecking order...nothing to worry about, there's always pecking order disputes going on. Only time to get worried is if it turns bloody.

Last edited:
Ok, on my way to Home Depot to get. 2x4 cut to the full 66" length of the coop. Took out the nests. Not sure the nesting boxes inside the coop will work, I would have to try maybe the five gallon buckets, but getting to the eggs would be a pain. I will try several things and see what works.

Cuda is on the screened porch, at least she is close to the flock. The dog crate she got very annoyed with and started trying to squeeze her head and neck and shoulders through the bars. She ended up scratching open her head wound...frustration!

This is stage one, new nest boxes downstairs. They are 14 gallon bins, 12 1/2" tall inside, 16" wide and 24" long.

They do take up a fair amount of room on the bottom of the coop, but the chickens free range all day anyway, so the bottom only gets used for at most a half hour per day (I admit I am not always "up with the chickens").

My Orpington layer, and the other two chickens who are closest to laying, all checked the boxes out. My layer went all the way in, then backed out. I hope she is ok with the boxes.

Still have to change out the roost pole. I have the piece of lumber, just have to take out the old one and replace. I compromised with a 2x3, I am trying not to add too much weight to the coop. It is already too heavy for me to move.

Back
Top Bottom