"Storeys Guide to Raising Chickens" Damerow
"Your Chickens" Damerow
"How to Raise Chickens" FFA series Christine Heinrichs
Fun backyard chicken raising books
"Keep Chickens"
"Living with Chickens" Rossier
Breeds
"Field Guide to Chickens"
I would buy them at a bookstore or farm supply store because if you order them throug a farm catalog you have to pay shipping. Every bookstore i go to has many different titles to choose from under the "Pet" section.

The Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens
by: Esther Verhoef Aad Rijs

Has everything you need to know on how to take care of chickens. Also has tons and tons of chicken breeds and pictures.

Go to the local library and do a search under the topic "chickens". That is the best way to preview the several books that are out there on raising chickens, backyard flocks, country living, etc. etc. If you find one you really like, you can do a search by ISBN # (found on the back of the book) via internet and you can find a source for purchasing it. You can also visit Tractor Supply or your local farm store and see what they have available there. I have found that what book might be good for someone else might not be your favorite. I think you just need to take a look at what's out there. Chicken care is basically the same, in general...its just a matter of how "involved" you want to get.
Good luck!!!!!

I'd buy them online from amazon because they have a great discount and offer free shipping. Also, sometimes they have used copies available.

There are a couple of fun books missing from those suggested.

Hen and the Art of Chicken Maintenance
and
Travels with My Chicken
both by Martin Gurdon

Parts of both books had me in stitches.

I second these:

Fun backyard chicken raising books
"Keep Chickens"
"Living with Chickens" Rossier
Breeds
"Field Guide to Chickens"

I have them all and I loved them...but you gotta think about how many chickens you plan to have or have, and what you are going to "use" them for.

I also liked:

Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds

Back
Top Bottom