Chicken breathing with mouth open. Not active

Egglayer1234

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2015
Hi so today I noticed my chicken was just lying down not moving around while the other hens went to bed. She is breathing with her mouth open and seems to be struggling taking in really deep breaths. She usually runs away when we try to pick her up or when our dog goes near her this time she just latex their with only a small sick like "bock" coming out of her. What could be wrong and what can we do to help? Thanms

Hope an Expert replies! In the mean time, more details will be helpful. I'm so sorry you are having trouble. Breed? Age? Laying? What are you feeding? No other chickens have symptoms? How long ago did you know she was fine? Are her comb and wattles nice and red? Or pale or bluish? I'm sorry I can't diagnose, but if you'll post these answers, it'll help get help on the way. Keep her warm and hydrated, offer scrambled eggs or like to see if she has appetite. Best of luck!

I just had one die today with the same symptoms.

Separate her, give electrolyte and do you have any antibiotics?

Does she have any discharge or diarrhea?

Good luck

I have a video on my post "chicken meowing softly, sneezing and wheezing" is she breathing like my pullet? Try duramycin 10, i started treating mine with it just over 2 days ago and she is a much better, with a few more days of treatment i feel like she will be okay. You cant eat her eggs on this antibiotic though, for like almost a month after the last treatment.

I have a video on my post "chicken meowing softly, sneezing and wheezing" is she breathing like my pullet? Try duramycin 10, i started treating mine with it just over 2 days ago and she is a much better, with a few more days of treatment i feel like she will be okay. You cant eat her eggs on this antibiotic though, for like almost a month after the last treatment.
No it doesn't sound like a meow just like she's sick :(

Hope an Expert replies! In the mean time, more details will be helpful. I'm so sorry you are having trouble. Breed? Age? Laying? What are you feeding? No other chickens have symptoms? How long ago did you know she was fine? Are her comb and wattles nice and red? Or pale or bluish? I'm sorry I can't diagnose, but if you'll post these answers, it'll help get help on the way. Keep her warm and hydrated, offer scrambled eggs or like to see if she has appetite. Best of luck! 
I'm not quite sure on age maybe a couple years old none of the other chickens show symptoms. Her comb and wattle are perfect they look nice and red. We feed her some organic food not sure what it's called its a layer food because she lays. I've noticed she is sleeping with her beak pointed to the ceiling not sure if that helps at all I'm super worried :(

You can trying getting someone to hold her while you hold open her mouth and look in to see if anything is stuck or if she has an infection growing in there. Make sure to check her trachea (windpipe, what she breaths with) located right behind her tongue, the tongue will cover it sometimes, might take a few tries to see it. If nothing is stuck like a twig or something then you need antibiotics. It doesn't have to sound like a meow, that's just what i compared it to, becasue its similar to what she sounded like. She could be wheezing.

You can trying getting someone to hold her while you hold open her mouth and look in to see if anything is stuck or if she has an infection growing in there. Make sure to check her trachea (windpipe, what she breaths with) located right behind her tongue, the tongue will cover it sometimes, might take a few tries to see it. If nothing is stuck like a twig or something then you need antibiotics. It doesn't have to sound like a meow, that's just what i compared it to, becasue its similar to what she sounded like. She could be wheezing.
My mom looked in there and said she didn't see anything stuck in there :( what kind of antibiotics would she need

[/IMG]

Here's her poo of this helps doesn't look normal to me

Back
Top Bottom