Chicken breathing

LongLiveChickens

In the Brooder
May 9, 2022
One of my chickens is breathing with its mouth open non stop, this happens alot when i grab her and she freaks out. i gave her some fan and water but she won't drink any and she still breathes with her mouth open. but sometimes it does stop with the fan. is this just heat or something worse? she also lays with her wings away from her body most of the time. im not sure if this matters but while staring at her trying to look into her mouth her eyes were shrinking and dilating. after writing this, she stopped mouth breathing (she has a fan on her)

another thing-
she also chirps alot and some sound weird. it's like screaming screeching and im really worried.

Chickens pant to cool off, they also are very vocal (they are birds, afterall) and it sounds like normal "im at peace" chicken noise
I've noticed there's drool or some fluid that comes out her mouth. the chirping /noises.do not sound like shes happy it sounds more like crying or.whining. i have no poultry vet near me and im really worried. I don't think the mouth breathing is from heat. whenever i grab her she does it and it takes awhile to stop when shes breathing she closes her mouth two times then mouth breathes again. her neck from the breathing is moving fast- what do i do :(

I've noticed there's drool or some fluid that comes out her mouth. the chirping /noises.do not sound like shes happy it sounds more like crying or.whining. i have no poultry vet near me and im really worried. I don't think the mouth breathing is from heat. whenever i grab her she does it and it takes awhile to stop when shes breathing she closes her mouth two times then mouth breathes again. her neck from the breathing is moving fast- what do i do :(
It's likely normally chicken behavior, it's just something they do. Most animals dont scream if they're distressed, they usually shut up and hide. You can record a video, upload it to YouTube or something then link it here first us to look at though.

It's likely normally chicken behavior, it's just something they do. Most animals dont scream if they're distressed, they usually shut up and hide. You can record a video, upload it to YouTube or something then link it here first us to look at though.
Thank you! my chicken is way better and I guess it was just the heat, i appreciate you!

Back
Top Bottom