Chicken Breed Focus - Appenzeller Spitzhauben

I LOVE mine.they are so sweet and gentle. Always the first to snuggle and the last to leave. 5 star personality wise
1f31f.png

Can I purchase AppenzellerSpitzhauben in the USA and will they do ok in central North Carolina?

Meyers Hatchery has them but I think right now they only have males. If you don't mind hatchery quality, you could check back with them later.

Meyers Hatchery has them but I think right now they only have males. If you don't mind hatchery quality, you could check back with them later.
If you're going to buy hatchery birds, you're much better off going to Cackle - they've been importing Spitz roosters the last couple of years. That being said, we're probably too late in the year to get chicks from any of the big guys.

Here's my 4 month old hen. She came from a place where there were a lot of chickens and I think they all plucked her tail feathers out. Will they grow back? Her beak is also crooked. Poor girl she has had a rough life but she is in good hands now.

They should grow back. It is easier and faster for them to grow back their feathers if you give them extra protein and veggies.

Last edited:
Gorgeous.
I've owned the silver before.(actually they owned me because I was willing to stay up all night on a couple of occasions to see and destroy whatever it was that was predating them.)
I have never seen the gold before. OMG
bow.gif
.The black tail..... ummm hmmmm.

They did well enough here in Central Manitoba where it usually gets to -30*C during any given Dec., & Jan. with about a week of -40to-45 and the occasional -50 and a bit lower.
ep.gif

They laid all winter.
Friendly little buggers too. Approachable and personable unlike my RIR's.
But yes them golds are sure gorgeous.
Thanks for the pix everyone.
thumbsup.gif

So of the ones that set eggs.... How do they do in a chicken run? Do they need more space than breeds like the BA or BO?
I have Hamburgs as well and they are said not to do well in confinement but mine have done fine.
I think the appenzellers are interesting with the "hairdo" that still lets them see.

I think the two breeds are very similar.

Back
Top Bottom