Chicken Breed Focus - Appenzeller Spitzhauben

Pics
I picked up this one 2 days ago
Is it an Appenzeller? Was told it was Hamburg. What do I have? Any ideas on sex? No idea of age either! Thanks for any help:idunno
IMG_20190122_172004.jpg
IMG_20190122_171957.jpg
IMG_20190122_171957.jpg
IMG_20190121_195008.jpg

I picked up this one 2 days ago
Is it an Appenzeller? Was told it was Hamburg. What do I have? Any ideas on sex? No idea of age either! Thanks for any help:idunnoView attachment 1651257 View attachment 1651259 View attachment 1651259 View attachment 1651261
The common hatchery Hamburg has the same coloration as the common hatchery Spitz... hence the confusion .

However, yours has the start of a head crest... so Spitz! (Aldo, Spitz have a comb that looks like 2 horns, Hamburg have a rose comb)

I do see some pinking already in the comb, which makes me worry if it might be a male... but too early to know for sure.

The common hatchery Hamburg has the same coloration as the common hatchery Spitz... hence the confusion .

However, yours has the start of a head crest... so Spitz! (Aldo, Spitz have a comb that looks like 2 horns, Hamburg have a rose comb)

I do see some pinking already in the comb, which makes me worry if it might be a male... but too early to know for sure.
Thank you! I hope it is not a Roo.

BTW- an update on my summer hatch. Only one chick turned out male. (Crazy good luck since my prior 2 hatches I usually only got 1 female and 3-4 males.) I decided to give all of them to the friend who had the spitz rooster (except for my son's pet "Poof Poof"). My friend can house, feed, and maintain our combined spitz flock on her property & I can get some fun hatching eggs when I want. The pullets are just starting to lay, so everything should be ready to go by spring. She's keeping her orig roo but sadly the young cockerel was killed by a hawk. I suppose if we had the chance to chose, I'm grateful that my fav 2 pullets with the tight mohawks did not end up hawk dinner. I honestly think they look far better than our "Poof Poof" and almost kept one, but with limited space, we have to be very selective.

Yes. I think I hatched 7 & kept 3 to grow out. All 3 I kept were female. The 4 I gave away at hatch had one male. In Oct, I gave my friend the remaining 3, so she ended up with all 7 - but then lost the cockerel in early Nov.
One pullet ("B") was wild and disliked human interaction - but so beautiful. I was tempted to let DS tame her as he did with his "Poof Poof" but since my friend wants to breed them, I think her place is a better fit for such a pretty girl.

Back
Top Bottom