Chicken Breed Focus - Appenzeller Spitzhauben

@purplesquirrel
Color in the wattles that early = male. Usually you can first see the wattles in the boys around 7-9 weeks. The girls not until around 4 months.
I agree that Frida should not really have any color so young. (Could be a male) However, I don't see any male traits either. I've tried so many ways to sex these chicks and documented their growth. In the end, the earliest I could guess 6-7 weeks, but usually it's 8 weeks before I can make an accurate prediction.

I have the pleasure of owning one young A.S bird, as unfortunately the other eggs of her breed did not hatch.

We named her Frida.
There is some colour in ‘her’ wattles now, especially when excited or nervous (which is a lot) even though they are only 4 weeks old.

I WOULD say I’m quite good at guessing sexes in chicks from a young age, as I watch their personality and behaviour. Usually get it right from day 1 these days (I’m a total chicken geek).

She is very sassy, observant, gentle and affectionate and has the traits of a matriarch hen. Obviously you hope for a pullet so I maybe just being bias...
There is another chick in the group (different breed) I suspected from day one is male, he is already showing red face and some male traits and they NEVER spar. I’ve never seen any play fighting, which I’ve never witnessed before.

Could anyone help me sex them?
Any help would be much appreciated as they are my favourite chicken from the bunch.
Thanks!
Kate.View attachment 2323351View attachment 2323350View attachment 2323352View attachment 2323353
Both look female at this point. Bit too early as the others said.

Lost two more birds yesterday . The black handsome ee roo (which even though I didn't want him, he was very handsome) and the smallest most skittish pullet. I now only have 6 spitzies left. If I lose the rest, I don't think I'll be breeding them anymore. I have no clue what's getting them. There's no sign left behind. I'm guessing coyote or fox. I hope I'm wrong on the fox.

Lost two more birds yesterday . The black handsome ee roo (which even though I didn't want him, he was very handsome) and the smallest most skittish pullet. I now only have 6 spitzies left. If I lose the rest, I don't think I'll be breeding them anymore. I have no clue what's getting them. There's no sign left behind. I'm guessing coyote or fox. I hope I'm wrong on the fox.
Can you lock them up tight?

Can you lock them up tight?
I unfortunately do not have a run. I have pastures which are fenced. They have plenty of trees and shade and places to hide, but these guys keep choosing to fly over. I've clipped wings, but they still manage to get over. If they would stay, their chances would be better. Then some of the young ones get it in their heads to try to roost everywhere but the coop and if i cannot find them, the racoon will get them guaranteed. Coop is safe, but for some reason, they sometimes just dont want to get in. Its a crazy show every night. The adults will try to roost on top of the coop until i come and tell them to get down, then they fly down and march straight in. EVERY NIGHT. Except when its raining. THEN they'll go in without the nightly fussing. And all i have to do is walk up and tell them down and pat their backs and you can practically feel them roll their eyes and say "well fine!"

I hatched some spitz, 8.

Seven Chamois, with one Golden Spangled

20200928_172527.jpg
20200928_172423.jpg
20200928_172332.jpg

20200928_172346.jpg

I live in a city and have a reasonably sized backyard, and we want to get spitzies. Any idea about whether they’ll stay close to home? After reading about how they like to wander and are flighted even with clipping, curious whether we will be able to keep them from troubling the neighbors :D

We did have sebright bantams that only flew out of the yard (which they could well do since i stopped clipping them) but just never chose to. only when they got attacked did they fly out. so i’m curious what y’all think this breed might do!

Back
Top Bottom