Chicken Breed Focus - Brabanter

I have three adult Brabanters and 10 chicks. The adults each have unique personalities. One hen, Punk Rock Girl, is blind and loves attention. My kids can pick her up and she coos to them. She sometimes sounds like a pigeon. :)
My other hen, Minnie Pearl, is louder and doesn't enjoy people. She's a bit of a scaredy chicken. They are probably 3 years old and still lay large white eggs a few times a week. My rooster is funny. His name is Mojo. He has crooked toes which causes him to walk sideways a bit sometimes. He isn't aggressive or flighty, prefers being second fiddle to my Ameraucana rooster, but still takes care of the hens. They were misfits a bit in their last home but fit in well with my misfit group here.
The chicks I am raising to produce breeding stock. The breed is struggling to grow in numbers. I know I attempted to hatch 52 eggs and have 1 chick to show for it. I purchased chicks from a breeder to help grow my group and diversify the genetics.
My favorite qualities of the Brabanter are the crest and beard, the beautiful color/pattern, and the large white eggs from a medium sized chicken.

I'll get more pictures soon.

I am ever so grateful and honored to have them!!! You were right, again haha! My absolute favorite breed. The chicks have been such a joy and of course, Dottie is the biggest character ever. Giselle is a luv bug too!! And yes, they lay a large white egg. Doesn't get much better than Brabanters.

My sweet Dottie, SO glad you are giving her a good home as well as all the chicks!
I am ever so grateful and honored to have them!!! You were right, again haha! My absolute favorite breed. The chicks have been such a joy and of course, Dottie is the biggest character ever. Giselle is a luv bug too!! And yes, they lay a large white egg. Doesn't get much better than Brabanters.

Sorry for the duplicate LOL just figuring out how to respond here. :)

Last edited:
Don't mean to hijack your thread, I couldn't find out how to post this. I need help, I found these chickens or rooster in the neighborhood (hopefully owners will come forth). Any idea on age or breed? Could they have something that my hens could get if they are separated? I've got them separated from my RIRs but my girls seem scared of them even though the found ones are small.

[IMG

Don't mean to hijack your thread, I couldn't find out how to post this. I need help, I found these chickens or rooster in the neighborhood (hopefully owners will come forth). Any idea on age or breed? Could they have something that my hens could get if they are separated? I've got them separated from my RIRs but my girls seem scared of them even though the found ones are small.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7389325/width/350/height/700[/[IMG]

I'd say Polish or Polish cross on the first one... bottom one actually might be a Brabanter, ironically, or maybe just a very pretty Polish cross. Both look to be young pullets - maybe 3-4 months of age.

If you have an more questions regarding a bird's breed or gender, I'd recommend creating a new thread in the "What Breed or Gender is This?" forum.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I've tried to create a new thread, but it would work for me, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm on my iPhone, could that be the proble?

Thank you for the reply. I've tried to create a new thread, but it would work for me, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm on my iPhone, could that be the proble?

Maybe. I pretty much only post on my iPhone, but I use the desktop version of the website anyways because that's what I've always used. Are you are on the desktop or mobile site?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7389325/width/350/height/700[/[IMG]
They might be Pavlovskaya mixes too. Yes they could be carrying a disease that could transmit to your hens. Keep them separated for at least a week.

Both look polish bottom one tolbunt polish

Pics are hard to see

Back
Top Bottom