Chicken Breed Focus - New Hampshire

I can back up everything the breed description says is true. Thanks for sharing this article!

I bought a roo and 7 pullet chicks from McMurray in May 2014, along with similar numbers of 3 other breeds. I then bought an adult 3-some of a 5th breed (Delawares). The New Hampshires are the best of all the breeds I received/have (Buff Orp, Black Australorp, White Wyandottes, Delawares and the New Hampshires). They are my best and most reliable egg layers, laying large to extra large brown eggs. They are good sized birds and though they can get a little testy if you try to take eggs out from under them, they are generally pretty mellow. They are beautifully colored and the roosters are really quite handsome! The way their plumage shines in the sun is just amazing.

I did lose 2 girls, 1 before she reached 1 year of age, and the other at ~ 13 months, for some undetermined reason. They were larger birds, and I believe they had heart attacks. They are ALWAYS scratching and hunting for food, and are very alert to what's going on around them.

As someone else noted, they ARE susceptible to frostbite in cold climates. My roo lost most of the tips off his comb and several toenails during his first winter during an arctic cold blast that had nighttime lows of -15 and daytime highs of zero-5 degrees that lasted ~ 7-10 days. It hasn't stopped him from performing his duties in the least!

LOVE this breed!

Lovely breed. I don't raise them but always admire them at poultry shows. If I was to raise large fowl, I'd probably raise New Hampshires.

I am a breeder of New Hampshire Large Fowl. I've been breeding for over four years and they will remain a main focus breed in my flock along with a couple of others. Although their combs on the males need to be cared for properly in the Minnesota Winters, they are stil a very hardy breed and have been excellent layers. The hens are very calm and easy to handle.
They certainly fulfill the eye candy category as well as being a very functional breed.

I think this breed is so pretty! Love the contrasting red with the black tail. Gorgeous!

I considered this breed when I was first getting into chickens, but chose other breeds. Gorgeous birds!
smile.png

My 3 New Hampshires arrived as a substitute for another breed. Two died as small chicks. The one I have left is HUGE. I think Ruby is even bigger and heavier than my Buff Orpington. She's a bit domineering to some younger chicks I inherited this summer. Those new chicks won't go near her after being pecked regularly. She does get along with the pullets that are the same age. Once or twice a week she lays a huge egg. I expect the huge eggs to stop as she gets older. I'm averaging 6 eggs a day with 8 laying so Ruby must be doing her fair share of laying eggs.

Back
Top Bottom