Chicken breed help?!

NDChickenLady67

In the Brooder
May 11, 2023
Hi! I have 3 almost 4 week old chicks ordered from McMurray Hatchery. I’m having difficulty determining the breed of my “free surprise” chick. It is much larger than all my other chicks even my Wyandotte cockerel. It acts very rooish towards the other chicks but has almost no comb showing so I really don’t think it is one?! Super docile with human handling though so praying it is not a roo. Hoping someone may have some insight into possible breeds!

Attachments

• B3DB1A06-CD8A-46DB-B675-60F2BF91ECA6.jpeg
    B3DB1A06-CD8A-46DB-B675-60F2BF91ECA6.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 34
  • C58D45B3-F80B-42CD-925A-D81FA203D24E.jpeg
    C58D45B3-F80B-42CD-925A-D81FA203D24E.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 4C3BE988-FB25-4F86-AF15-E39AB490721F.jpeg
    4C3BE988-FB25-4F86-AF15-E39AB490721F.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 21
Super docile with human handling though so praying it is not a roo. Hoping someone may have some insight into possible breeds!
I've had personal experience and also a lot of others tell me that young roos tend to be much more friendly to people than the pullets. Not as skittish and more curious. Don't get your hopes up too high!

It does look like a Jersey Giant because of the yellow bottoms of the feet. I see you said you had a mean rooster and that this one is giving you roo vibes with its behavior. But if it's any consolation, I had a BJG chick that gave roo vibes in both behavior and the way it stood so tall and upright, but turned out to be a pullet. And, a gentle, hilarious, lap-chicken pullet at that! :) So if it's a pullet, I don't think you need to worry about aggression. I've even heard the roos are generally nice. Maybe yours was a fluke last time.

Hi! I have 3 almost 4 week old chicks ordered from McMurray Hatchery. I’m having difficulty determining the breed of my “free surprise” chick. It is much larger than all my other chicks even my Wyandotte cockerel. It acts very rooish towards the other chicks but has almost no comb showing so I really don’t think it is one?! Super docile with human handling though so praying it is not a roo. Hoping someone may have some insight into possible breeds!
UPDATES: we are now a couple of weeks out and still not much of a comb… but I’m still thinking rooster? Also I’m not sold on the BJG as there are some white markings now too… I’ve attached some new pictures!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom