Chicken breeds that do well with silkies

you-da-chick

Songster
8 Years
Sep 27, 2014
I have a flock of 3 silkies (One roo, and two hens) in a very spacious aviary. I'm looking to add a couple hens for some eggs. Any breeds you'd recommend? I'm planning on visiting a local feed store, and they mainly carry chicks of standard sized breeds (May or may not have bantams), so I would like to compile a small list on some breeds:). I would also like to note that I'll be getting chicks and will be raised in a brooder, and once they are young pullets I'll slowly introduce them to the silkies

I keep a few other breeds with mine, bantam cochins, old english game, Araucana, Wyandotte, Sussex crosse, Delaware and a few silkie crosses. I started with the silkies and so far my buff girl (smallest silkie) is still top hen followed by my Sussex cross and Delaware but they are kind to the rest of the flock including the bantams. I think if I started with large fowl instead of the silkies I may have had a different outcome

I have a Salmon Faverolles and a barred rock ameraucana cross with my 2 silkies. The Faverolles seemed to take on a mama roll and let the silkies cuddle her. She’s very sweet. The cross chick however was picking at the white silkie :barniein the brooder. They are all getting along now that they are outside in their coop. Now if my white silkie could just grow her feathers back we’d be in business!

Thanks everyone for your replies! I will try to get bantam chicks if possible since they are my first choice, but if there are only standards available I will still get a couple (I'm thinking cochins, sussex). If they decide to peck the silkies, then I can always separate them if needed :)

Back
Top Bottom