Chicken can't swallow! Please help!

Maddcatter

Crowing
Apr 29, 2022
North Texas
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) - 3month old australorp female, wieghs about 2 lbs, and is getting lighter. Yes, she seems a bit lighter than the others.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She has mucus or spit in her mouth that she can't get rid of. I gave her lettuce and she bit it, but couldn't manipulate it to her throat to swallow. Her tongue seems to be way further back in her throat that it should be. She can't eat, and can't really drink because she can't swallow and has mucus.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 6 days.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Nope.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Nope.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No idea. I went to lock up the coop for the night (they free range through the day) and found her in the coop, but she was lathargic, her feet where cold, and she had a bunch of mucus is her mouth.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She tries to eat, but can't swallow. Tries to drink, but there is already fluid in her mouth. I have been force feeding her (by way of squirting liquid into her mouth) water mixed with honey and acv, and unsalted beef broth with some warmed butter and rooster booster in it so she gets some calories and nutrition.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Her poop is super watery and smells terrible.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I have given her 2 dosages of la-200 (doses where .5cc 2 days apart) and have been force feeding her.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would prefer to treat this myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. -I have her separated into a brooder in my bedroom, which has pine shavings and a heat rock. She has water with acv and honey and dumor unmedicated chick food in there with her. My house stays around 70⁰.

IMG_20230315_183032.jpg

Have someone help hold her. Carefully, using tweezers, see if you can find anything wrapped around the tongue. Even something as small as a hair can get wrapped around, swallowed, and pull the tongue back. If you can find it, then a tiny pair of scissors may be able to reach it to cut it off. Just do everything slowly and carefully.

Have someone help hold her. Carefully, using tweezers, see if you can find anything wrapped around the tongue. Even something as small as a hair can get wrapped around, swallowed, and pull the tongue back. If you can find it, then a tiny pair of scissors may be able to reach it to cut it off. Just do everything slowly and carefully.
Awesome! Thank you! I'll let you know how it goes. :)

One of my baby chicks ate too quickly one night, her whole throat was lined with crumbles and I had to massage them all out and it was almost like I had to help her puke. Before I did this she was foaming at her mouth which is how I noticed. She was my favorite so after she ate I went to hold her and noticed her. I am not an expert but have you tried massaging her throat? I do know dogs will force a swallow when you rub their throat. Sending hope she is ok :)

Back
Top Bottom