Chicken can't walk... took to the Vet **PICS**

Oh my, Ellie has figured out how to be your house pet!
cool.png

So he didn't find a dislocation either? Actually the vitamins may serve to correct a nutritional imbalance- often Vitamins B, E or D can be out of synch in a hen and Vitamin D in particular affects the medullary complex (legs/pelvis) and affect walking. So here's hoping...

No, he said that there appeared to be a little bruising but no break or dislocation. He checked her range of motion and nerves. I gave her the vitamin drops on a small bit of bread... couldn't do the snorting thing, lol.

That is good to know about the lack of vitamins. Gosh, wouldn't that be something easy to fix. Thanks for telling me, Lynne.

Last edited:
I sure hope her condition improves! I had to laugh, I thought I was the only one who let chickens watch the Food Network.
hide.gif
All my brooder chicks grow up on it.
roll.png

I turn it off when they're cooking chicken.

Quote:
*raises hand* I am guilty of that (they LOVE Emerill) and also the Animal Planet.

I sure hope she bounces back and rejoins the flock but she sure looks happy in the livingroom.
lol.png

Gosh, when I go back to work on Monday she will be so lonesome. I can't justify leaving the tv on while not here. I had no idea so many have their chooks in the house!!

When I first turned the tv on, "Hannibal" was showing so I had to shield her little eyes and put it on another channel. She favors the Hallmark Channel, lol.

The vet said this could take up to two months to heal.

I sure hope her condition improves! I had to laugh, I thought I was the only one who let chickens watch the Food Network. All my brooder chicks grow up on it.

I turn it off when they're cooking chicken.

yuckyuck.gif

I hope your chicken gets better!

I don't know if this would be counted the same, but my sick chickens listen to singing or classical stations on the radio. Sometimes I wonder if they will sing when they are better!
big_smile.png

It is crucial that your vet understand that your bird is a PET (they will also be more inclined to treatment )
Update:

Emily is sitting in a cage in the living room. There is a nice fire blazing in the wood stove and I am going to let her watch "The Egg and I" today. Right now she is watching the food channel so she will eat and she is eating well

This is the very worst thing for Emily ... birds have very sensitive airways and their immune system is will be affected by air quality. Do not have Emily in the room when the fire is on. I also suggest that you keep her sleeping schedule the same as if she was outdoors (dark and quiet at the time the birds go to sleep outdoors)... any change will affect her immune system and thereby her ability to recover. If you use teflon coated pans do not allow her in the kitchen or anywhere near it when you are cooking.​

Last edited:
How interesting. Would this be the case even if the wood stove is a closed system... that is, there is no smoke in the home. If so, I can move her further away. I did put her to bed at the same time the other chickens went to bed. I put her in the sewing room in the dark with the door closed.

Thanks for the advice... let me know about the closed system.

Ellie

Back
Top Bottom