Photokitty

Chirping
Jul 6, 2017
Marlinton, West Virginia
A couple of my hens were molting, not too bad but some were having added stresses put on them being the favorites of much larger roos. I went online and found this printable template to size: Chicken saddle. I couldn't find the length people were using for criss-cross saddles. This one you just lay the elastic on the template.

The bird in question is TINY, she is about the size of my Sebrights. I used the templates measurements and it worked out perfectly. The main part is made of blue jeans, then the straps are the elastic from a pair of tightie whities my husband didn't like so didn't wear. I cut the leg elastic since it was a bit more comfortable looking. Each piece was 12in. Then I sewed 2in on the top inset because of fraying and thats where the most "force" would be on the saddle. That left me with 10in of elastic and I sewed another inch onto the part that goes under the wing so the length of elastic actually going around is 9 inches for each strap.

I caught her and hastily put it on, I found putting it over the head then doing the wings works. It got caddywhompus when I put her down, so I had to catch her again and readjust. My husband said he went out there and was like "one of our chickens is wearing a cape!"

It doesn't cover her wing area but at least her back is covered. You can see in the picture below one of her flock mates is also bad off, but she has more feathers than the white one!

IMG_2967.jpg

As mentioned in your other posts....You have too many Roosters..I have tried a saddle before too it was an epic fail..Put Roosters into separate bachelor pen...Hens will grow feathers back..
Best of luck...

If I could break up the smaller groups I would but for now, I cannot. Most of the issues I have been thrown into from the existing flock. Her feathers are on the mend, and its working for her for now. I was originally going to get just 10 of the chickens (or less) but when I heard they would be just left to wild when the owners moved, I figured a slightly not so seemingly overcrowed coop/run that I can and will expand in the future was better than getting caught by predators or starving to death.

Oh, girl you did a good job on that apron! Now, the other hens are gonna get envious if they don't get one too! LOL!

I had to make some saddles too, when I had only 5 hens and 1 roo. Now the flock is up to 9 hens. And I was able to remove the saddles. Their feathers are almost back to normal.

If you put a big bow or half moon shape, on that saddle it will cover the wings.

These chickens...if it's not one thing, it's another!

Good job and God Bless! :thumbsup

It's a hard call, take the saddle off for comfort, or keep it on to protect the exposed skin.
If there a several roosters, that exposed skin will be cut open by the roosters toe nails or spurs. Then, you will be dealing with injuries!

As long as you don't over handle the hens while the feathers are regrowing they will be ok. Just check on the feathering progress every few weeks. You'll know when to remove the saddles. Or, if you are able at some point, to make a roo cave with an enclosed pen, then, saddles won't be needed.

Maybe you have already done this, but you need to also trim and buff the roosters, spurs and toenails if needed. I blunt my rooster's spurs with a dremel, then round them off with the sanding attachment. My husband and I do it together.

It's a hard call, take the saddle off for comfort, or keep it on to protect the exposed skin.
If there a several roosters, that exposed skin will be cut open by the roosters toe nails or spurs. Then, you will be dealing with injuries!

As long as you don't over handle the hens while the feathers are regrowing they will be ok. Just check on the feathering progress every few weeks. You'll know when to remove the saddles. Or, if you are able at some point, to make a roo cave with an enclosed pen, then, saddles won't be needed.

Maybe you have already done this, but you need to also trim and buff the roosters, spurs and toenails if needed. I blunt my rooster's spurs with a dremel, then round them off with the sanding attachment. My husband and I do it together.
I have 5-6 roosters and 40 hens. I inherited a flock that was on the neglected side. I will try and buff the nails, all the Roos are gentle and LOVE being petted, by me and the girls (3 and 21 months). I haven't done it yet, I am not certain of the cause of the drastic feathers being gone but they were like this when I got them, I checked for mites because their old coop *shutters* the cape seems to have kept the Roos off of her, her skin underneath is bright red like its raw. Next spring I am fencing off my acre garden and breaking up the flock. The ducks will be in there and the chickens will be in a run and coop inside of that. I will check on the feather growth in a week or so, I don't tend to handle my chickens. Until these Roos I never got to even pet one of my original flock, now with fermented feed they see the brown bucket and come a running. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Back
Top Bottom