Chicken coop bedding and flooring

mwoodson

Hatching
Feb 20, 2015
I am new to raising chickens at least on my own. We had a few growing up but I never knew the particulars. I am looking into purchasing Rhode Island Reds. I live in South Texas so the days get hot. We are in the process of creating our chicken coop. We are turning an old hog pin into the coop. The chickens will stay in there almost all the time. When we can we might let them roam in the backyard. My husband runs his own woodworking business. We work with a lot of pecan and mesquite wood. I have access to kiln dried shavings of this. Is it ok to use in my coop for bedding and some on the floor?
Thanks in advance!\

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm sorry to say but I have never researched pecan or mesquite wood for bedding. So I would look into it. I know that cedar is toxic and pine is best used in coops.

Good luck with the coop and your future flock!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
x2 on the Coop and Run section. You should be able to get good advice there. Enjoy the site!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

I'm not sure whether those woods can be safely used, so I would definitely post in the Coops section. I hope you can find the answers you're looking for!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom