chicken coop: straw or pine shavings?

Bird Worrier

Songster
6 Years
Dec 31, 2017
Hello! I am considering a switch from straw on the floor of our 9' x 9' chicken coop to pine shavings. I've never had an easy time picking up after my girls using straw and I feel like the shavings will be easier to maintain. And possible cheaper as straw has become so expensive --at least in WA State. Here's my question: Should I leave the straw in place and cover with a nice thick layer of shavings to start or take out all the straw and start fresh? Will picking up poop be nice and easy using shavings? And will deep litter method work with pine shavings like it does with straw? I know this is a lot. Thank you for reading!

Hello! I am considering a switch from straw on the floor of our 9' x 9' chicken coop to pine shavings. I've never had an easy time picking up after my girls using straw and I feel like the shavings will be easier to maintain. And possible cheaper as straw has become so expensive --at least in WA State. Here's my question: Should I leave the straw in place and cover with a nice thick layer of shavings to start or take out all the straw and start fresh? Will picking up poop be nice and easy using shavings? And will deep litter method work with pine shavings like it does with straw? I know this is a lot. Thank you for reading!
Yes, the deep litter method works with pine shavings and, arguably, even better than with straw. Personally I'd start fresh, but that's just my preference as I don't like piling different bedding types. Picking up poop is relatively easy with shavings, though I dislike how dusty it can get..since it breaks down fairly quickly. I say give it a try and choose whichever you like better.

Back
Top Bottom