IsabellaRBM

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2022
Hi! New here. We have a chicken that has a potential impacted crop, definitely sour crop, and we have been doing as much research as possible and home treatment. From isolating her, giving her water with acv and electrolytes, olive oil to help move things along and loosen up (don’t worry, we know it can be bad and we only did it one day and small amount) we have been emptying her crop .. undigested food and sour creamy liquid comes out, she was wobbly and had no color in her crown. This started 4 days ago. Update, she started showing interest in cucumbers and come of her regular chicken food, she deff drinks a ton of water, she has started pooping again, but it’s still not back to “normal” it’s green and firmer but still has liquid in it, she has begun talking a little, but her crop is still super squishy and we expel water from her every morning, as in we barely touch her crop and water just spews out, the sour liquid has lessened but we can’t figure out how to know if she’s ok, when we’ve cleared it, what’s still going on and what to do next.. a vet bill for a chicken is a bit out of our comfort zone but she is a pet and obviously we are doing everything to save her, hoping to get more advice before spending the outrageous vet cost to have this opened essentially and seeing if something needs to be removed. I’ll add they do not free range on grass or anything, i use bedding pads that are meant to stay together so they don’t kick it out into the coop, they have a large run and access to water and chicken scratch all day, and i give them fresh veggies and fruit, alternating, once a day especially when it’s hott out. Thanks everyone. Hope i provided enough information for any tips or advice anyone has.

Hi! New here. We have a chicken that has a potential impacted crop, definitely sour crop, and we have been doing as much research as possible and home treatment. From isolating her, giving her water with acv and electrolytes, olive oil to help move things along and loosen up (don’t worry, we know it can be bad and we only did it one day and small amount) we have been emptying her crop .. undigested food and sour creamy liquid comes out, she was wobbly and had no color in her crown. This started 4 days ago. Update, she started showing interest in cucumbers and come of her regular chicken food, she deff drinks a ton of water, she has started pooping again, but it’s still not back to “normal” it’s green and firmer but still has liquid in it, she has begun talking a little, but her crop is still super squishy and we expel water from her every morning, as in we barely touch her crop and water just spews out, the sour liquid has lessened but we can’t figure out how to know if she’s ok, when we’ve cleared it, what’s still going on and what to do next.. a vet bill for a chicken is a bit out of our comfort zone but she is a pet and obviously we are doing everything to save her, hoping to get more advice before spending the outrageous vet cost to have this opened essentially and seeing if something needs to be removed. I’ll add they do not free range on grass or anything, i use bedding pads that are meant to stay together so they don’t kick it out into the coop, they have a large run and access to water and chicken scratch all day, and i give them fresh veggies and fruit, alternating, once a day especially when it’s hott out. Thanks everyone. Hope i provided enough information for any tips or advice anyone has.
Welcome center! Veggies are okay, but not fruit or scratch- at least not all the time. Less than every 2 weeks is okay.
It’s best to let the chickens scavenge for food and grass in the yard/run and their layer feed if they’re hungry.

Welcome center! Veggies are okay, but not fruit or scratch- at least not all the time. Less than every 2 weeks is okay.
It’s best to let the chickens scavenge for food and grass in the yard/run and their layer feed if they’re hungry.
It’s their chicken feed, that’s what I’m calling scratch. But if that’s still what you’re talking about, then I’m not supposed to have it out for them daily? And i don’t give them fruit everyday, but I’ll reduce the amount, i had just read that it was ok just not everyday, and because we’re in vegas it’s so hot here in the summer i was trying to do the right thing providing cold treats etc for hydration and cooling effects. Either way that’s not my issue. I’m trying to deal with the crop and all that comes with healing her currently. Thank you

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies!
Try using only chicken feed for laying hens. Pull all the extra food. Those things are considered treats.
Ya so i say scratch but it’s their chicken food. I have it in a feeder for them for daily access, if I’m not supposed to be doing that then I’ll adjust, it is an organic egg laying feed for adult chickens. I give them veggies as “treats” but once a day. Fruit not as much but now I’m hearing to reduce it even more with the fruit. We don’t have grass really to let them go in, so they’re just in they’re run with they’re cool and other things to play on and around. I still need help with the crop issue with the one chicken though. I appreciate all the advice but i need to address the specific issue at hand

Back
Top Bottom