Chicken Depression?

kareclem

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
I had two 2 year old Barred Rock Chickens until a few weeks ago when one of them succumbed to crop issues. I was very concerned about my remaining chicken being lonely, so instead of baby chicks we were planning on getting, I got two 17 week old pullets instead. I have them separated, but they can see each other and have been free-ranging around each other on a few occasions. The thing is, I think my older hen Maggie is just depressed. She hasn't laid since her sister died. She was usually a ball of energy and now is now very lethargic. I see her eat a little, but not at the great lengths she used to and there isn't much droppings under her in the mornings. (but her crop is emptying). Sometimes she is interested in the new birds, but most times she can't be bothered. Does anyone have any similar experiences with chicken depression? I know that "time heals" - it has been 2 weeks since the sister's death and a week since I brought in the new birds. I have been trying to give her special treats (watermelon!) and attention to get her to snap out of it, but just not sure how long this should go on. Also, concerned if the lack of appetite continues, it will be harmful to her health. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I had two 2 year old Barred Rock Chickens until a few weeks ago when one of them succumbed to crop issues. I was very concerned about my remaining chicken being lonely, so instead of baby chicks we were planning on getting, I got two 17 week old pullets instead. I have them separated, but they can see each other and have been free-ranging around each other on a few occasions. The thing is, I think my older hen Maggie is just depressed. She hasn't laid since her sister died. She was usually a ball of energy and now is now very lethargic. I see her eat a little, but not at the great lengths she used to and there isn't much droppings under her in the mornings. (but her crop is emptying). Sometimes she is interested in the new birds, but most times she can't be bothered. Does anyone have any similar experiences with chicken depression? I know that "time heals" - it has been 2 weeks since the sister's death and a week since I brought in the new birds. I have been trying to give her special treats (watermelon!) and attention to get her to snap out of it, but just not sure how long this should go on. Also, concerned if the lack of appetite continues, it will be harmful to her health. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Look up the thread - do chickens mourn. There is great insight in the articles there, sorry for your loss,
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom