Chicken Diapers??? And I'm being completely serious.....

Would you diaper a chicken?

• No.....

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Possibly

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • I already do!

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

dutchbunny83

Songster
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
Fayetteville, NC
So I saw a couple ads for chicken diapers, and I didn't think it was a real thing. Apparently it is. Anyone have experience with this, because I have some questions!

1. I'm not trying to sound dumb, but what is the purpose, is this so you can let your chickens come inside (because I have a couple I probably would want as house pets)?

2. Obviously wearing a diaper would cause some egg laying issues, but wouldn't having the poop up against them clog their vent and potentially make them sick?

3. Wouldn't this cause sanitation issues? First, I'd assume they'd get poop all over their feathers. Then you would need to scrub them down. These also are cloth diapers, so they would need to be cleaned. I would assume putting them through your washing machine could potentially contaminate other things in your home.

4. My chickens poop A LOT! Like every 5-10 minutes I see them out there going. Wouldn't you need to change their diapers like every 20 minutes? This seems messy and impractical.

I'm not trying to knock anyone that actually diapers their chickens, I'm just curious. I have a little silkie roo that is my baby and I think he would make a great indoor pet (until he starts scratching at my hard wood and molting.....)

Chicken Diapers tend to be short term use. Its not a product you use all day like with a human child. When you take a chicken out in public for sale, or to educate the public on back yard flocks, it makes things cleaner and puts city planners minds to rest. It can also be used with sick or injured birds to bring them indoors with out getting a carpet or porch full of droppings.

Riki

Okay, thank you so much for clarifying this for me.
It actually seems like a pretty good idea.
Though I must admit I'm a little disappointed, because I was already planning out having my roo as a house chicken!

Okay, thank you so much for clarifying this for me.
It actually seems like a pretty good idea.
Though I must admit I'm a little disappointed, because I was already planning out having my roo as a house chicken!
your rooster can still be a house chicken, you just need to cleen poop. I did that with my indoor rooster. But then we let the little guy go outside to see if he would like it, and we left him alone and a hawk killed him =( So I have 0 house chickens now.

I'm so sorry to hear that!!!
We live in the city, and fortunately I haven't seen any hawks.
But we are ordinanced not to have any roosters.
I really thought my silkie was a girl, but then she started crowing.
She's my favorite and I can't get rid of him, so thinking maybe inside would be a solution.
I ordered one, I'll see how it works!

My phoenix chicken loves to be with me but when I get new floors in then she too will have to wear a diaper but till new floors are in I clean up after them (all 4 come in but she is the one who has to be with me when I am home she is my shadow) she also sleeps on my bed when I am on the computer as its right next to my desk and all 4 chickens have learned not to poo on my bed but it took work on that one you have to watch them like a hawk and as soon as they start to do the poo squat you have to yell and them and sho them off the bed or out the door now my girls can be inside for a few hours and I may have 1 or 2 droppings. I don't think you cant totally potty train them and what I just said is kind of wrong and when they walk out they don't get through the door before they drop there load but that's cement so no big deal I have Lysol cleaner and paper towels on table right next to the door easy clean up

If your in city limits, I would recommend you obey the laws and get rid of your roo. Cities hate people like us. They see us as backward, troublemakers keeping their town or city from being the centers of art and culture. To them, people who want chickens in our backyard are living in the Stone Age.

Many here have to fight to get laws passed allowing any chickens at all. Having to go to town meetings and deal with burocratic town councils. Often with the vote being a resounding "NO". All it takes is one bad person breaking the rules to get chickens banned for everyone in your city. It only takes one complaint about a rooster in city limits for a counciler to ask the two easy questions. "Isn't there a law against chickens in the city?" Followed by. " How soon can we get this passed?"

Speaking as a person living dead center in a city that prides its self for its art festivals, I have no doubt what the result would be if someone moved to town with a rooster. An emergency meeting, a unanimous vote and a dawn raid from code enforcement. The perception of urban chickens being low class and signs of slums is so ingrained here that no one would even question it.

Riki

And can you tolerate crowing all sorts of the day and sometimes at night? Crowing is one thing and one thing only, mating rights. If and when you get sick, or got sinus problems, it would be a problem.

Diapers are messy and not a great thing to have for a house chickens. There are several people that does have house chickens and can keep up with the endless amounts of diapers, more power to them! They are a "rare breed" of folks!

Many cities and towns prohibits roosters so do all of us a favor, don't get roosters! Particularly when everyone got their windows up and enjoying the spring air.

PLease do think about what Riki says. She has a point there and not all cities are chicken nazis. Just get yourself some girls and be happy with it. Give your little guy a home where he can scratch and crow at all of his heart's content and maybe have a few girls of his own!
wink.png
Now, that would be chicken heaven to him!

Thank you for your insight. It is so annoying that people here can have unlimited dogs, barely cared for that bark all night and no one cares. But someone has a healthy little roo that barely crows and they're the one in the wrong! I am looking for a good home for him.

For the record, we thought she was a girl when we got her.

Last edited:

The diaper arrived!!!!
Though I don't think I had it on right because he pooped on my kitchen floor...
But he was quite the trooper sitting there calmly for 10 minutes while I tried to figure this thing out!

Back
Top Bottom