Chicken died, can I eat eggs?

JesseK

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
IA
Hi guys, my 2 year old silver laced wyandotte, Lacy, died sometime during the night. She seemed completely healthy...eating, laying and acting normal. I couldn't find any wounds on her...it must have been some kind of internal issue. The other chickens look fine today. Would you be concerned about eating the eggs she laid this past week? I'm hoping I don't need to throw them all out...
Thanks!

Sorry for your loss but she could have had some killer chicken disease it would be smart to just through the eggs away very sorry for your chicken.
sad.png

I know that it's not something that everyone can bring themselves to do, but have you considered doing a necropsy to see if you can spot what was wrong with her?

Not only might that give you an idea of what happened, and whether or not you can safely eat the eggs, it may also help you to spot something that could affect the rest of your flock.

I used to have a ginger red oegb hen that was too small and she would lay eggs everyday, And on day i came home and finded her dead. I looked around and looked for clues to see what had happened to her but everything was ok. But she had purple skinn and I looked into her vent and it was purple and swollen too. Then I came to the conclusion that she had died due to not being able to lay an egg, and it got stuck inside her.

Back
Top Bottom