Chicken drama last night, not sure what happened!!

PeachygirlGA

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2012
Fort Valley, GA
Yesterday afternoon my chickens were free ranging as they do almost every day that we are home. I let them out around 3:00 and they go back in on their own around 8-8:30. My husband and I went for a bike ride and stopped to talk to a neighbor. It was around 8:45 when we got back home and I told hubby I was headed over to collect eggs and shut the coop. When I looked inside, only 2 hens (out of 10 hens and 2 roos) were on the roost! I yelled to hubby and we started looking for them. Found them roosting all over the yard! My 3 youngest were in the top of the big trash can! Got them all gathered up, which was quite a chore! Got everybody in and realized Lucy was missing. I went looking everywhere for her but it was dark by this point and I couldn't find her anywhere. We thought maybe something had gotten her but this morning there she was wandering around in the yard. I lured her back to the coop and put her inside the run with the others. Do you think something spooked them? I just have no idea other than that why they wouldn't have gone back inside the coop like they always do. Not sure if I should let them out today! One thing, I have a light in the coop but it's out and I need to replace the bulb. Do you think they didn't want to go in there since it was dark?

Chickens can't see very well in the dark,I have noticed that my older chickens will go in with the light off but my younger ones won't unless I turn the light on,sigh they are my silly little chickens. Maybe changing the light will help. Also like you said something could have spooked them and that is why they sought refuge elsewhere.

Best of luck
Cherish

Thanks! I will change the bulb today and see if that helps. And if they don't start making their way inside the coop at dusk I will herd them in before they start roosting! lol! I was sooooo very happy to see my Lucy running around this morning!

The strange thing is though, these chickens have been going in the coop for a couple years now, some of them a year, and I have 3 that are a few months old. They have never NOT gone inside! My son was home but said he didn't hear anything unusual as if something was after them. I can't leave them out at night because I'm afraid something will get them.

Back
Top Bottom