chicken duck fight - chicken not using leg and leaking

It would probably be best to keep her in an area where she can't use her leg to allow it to heal without straining it too much.

And 8 week old drake is too young to mate, but it could be the shock of being attacked may have resulted in some kind of diarrhea-ish reaction. I would definitely keep the ducks separated from the chickens for now. What are the genders of the other two ducks? The average male duck needs 2-4 females to be happy, otherwise he will target any other female bird around.

Dang. Just caught the other two hens picking her apart. So she is now 100% isolated. Bloody comb now and all.

It would probably be best to keep her in an area where she can't use her leg to allow it to heal without straining it too much.

And 8 week old drake is too young to mate, but it could be the shock of being attacked may have resulted in some kind of diarrhea-ish reaction. I would definitely keep the ducks separated from the chickens for now. What are the genders of the other two ducks? The average male duck needs 2-4 females to be happy, otherwise he will target any other female bird around.

2 female and 2 males.

The other female is a couple weeks younger and is slowly being introduced.

I’m thinking we need to rehome at least one of these. The other male I believe by his quack and the green color coming to his head. Rouen. He is total chill with the new duck now. And total chill with everyone. He wasn’t at first. I’m going the other will dial it back.

In that case I would personally rehome the aggressive drake - alternatively you would need to add a lot more females. If he's aggressive like this at 8 weeks he has the chance to become an even worse nightmare when his hormones kick in.

Chickens are pretty mean to their injured flock mates. Hopefully she heals quicky!

She has not eaten as far as I can tell or taken any water since I put her in isolation. She is staying huddled down on the ground and using her wings for support. Only one poop in the isolation area. Don’t know if this is to be expected or not after that trauma. Or at one point that should become a concern. She has stopped panting. But obvious she is not feeling well.

I’ve gently felt the leg and foot. Nothing seems out of place. No swelling that I can see either.

Update. She layed an egg sometime last night/this morning. There was one tiny Pooh in the tote. She took some water and yogurt this morning.

I feel like the actual foot is swollen a bit at the ankle area. But hard to tell.

She turned herself around on one foot and put her face in the corner of the tote like she was being sent to the corner to be punished.

She laid another egg but had smashed it under her when I found it a few hours ago. She isn’t taking any food or water. I was able to hold her in my arms on her back like a baby and she went to sleep. There is very little resistance in her left leg for me to move it any way i want. No swelling. No discoloring. She can grip my finger but not as tight as her right foot.

nothing pops or pulls away or feels broken.

That’s doesn’t mean it isn’t a broken hip.

If it is a pulled muscle or tendon then I guess more rest. But not taking food or water is a fatal issue.

She has not eaten as far as I can tell or taken any water since I put her in isolation. She is staying huddled down on the ground and using her wings for support. Only one poop in the isolation area. Don’t know if this is to be expected or not after that trauma. Or at one point that should become a concern. She has stopped panting. But obvious she is not feeling well.

I’ve gently felt the leg and foot. Nothing seems out of place. No swelling that I can see either.
She laid another egg but had smashed it under her when I found it a few hours ago. She isn’t taking any food or water. I was able to hold her in my arms on her back like a baby and she went to sleep. There is very little resistance in her left leg for me to move it any way i want. No swelling. No discoloring. She can grip my finger but not as tight as her right foot.

nothing pops or pulls away or feels broken.

That’s doesn’t mean it isn’t a broken hip.

If it is a pulled muscle or tendon then I guess more rest. But not taking food or water is a fatal issue.
I feel it must just be a major sprain.
If it was a broken hip I feel there would be swelling in the upper thigh, and her leg would not move properly.
As for her not eating, you could try cooking her egg or tuna or chicken.
I sometimes gently pry the beak open, place a small amount of food towards the middle of the beak and often they will swallow it and it may encourage her to eat more.nutridrench is good to give birds off of feed.

Back
Top Bottom