Chicken eaten in coop last night by...??

I am sorry. I have a roo who is very mean and my mind is set that all roos are mean. you have no idea how idiotic I can be sometimes.:hmm
I apologize for being off topic. I created a new thread last night after seeing a possum in my yard, and BYC directed me to this post. I have two very mean Easter Egger roos that made the hens squawk every time they mated. I have removed them and the Rhode Island Red roo I have with them now is great. If I refill the feeder, he stays about 10 " away with his head up looking for predators while all my hens gather around the feeder eating with their heads down. My Easter egger roos wouldn't let my hens eat, they would peck and chase them away from the feeder. It's so great to have a roo that's good with them. You have to raise your roos right, don't pick them up or pay much attention to them. Your roos should be focused on the hens, not on you. Once I had a rooster that tried to attack me, and I had to butcher him. But 90% of my roos would never do that. Your roo is half your flock. It's his genetics being shared 50/50 with the hens. Aggression is an inherited trait and should be culled. It's been important for me to have more than one roo to select from because you never know what their personality will be until they mature. They don't need to be mean to you or to the hens to protect the flock from predators. I have been blessed with gentle, kind roos.

I apologize for being off topic. I created a new thread last night after seeing a possum in my yard, and BYC directed me to this post. I have two very mean Easter Egger roos that made the hens squawk every time they mated. I have removed them and the Rhode Island Red roo I have with them now is great. If I refill the feeder, he stays about 10 " away with his head up looking for predators while all my hens gather around the feeder eating with their heads down. My Easter egger roos wouldn't let my hens eat, they would peck and chase them away from the feeder. It's so great to have a roo that's good with them. You have to raise your roos right, don't pick them up or pay much attention to them. Your roos should be focused on the hens, not on you. Once I had a rooster that tried to attack me, and I had to butcher him. But 90% of my roos would never do that. Your roo is half your flock. It's his genetics being shared 50/50 with the hens. Aggression is an inherited trait and should be culled. It's been important for me to have more than one roo to select from because you never know what their personality will be until they mature. They don't need to be mean to you or to the hens to protect the flock from predators. I have been blessed with gentle, kind roos.
My Rooster is also a Rhode Island Red, and he takes his job seriously. He looks around for predators while they are eating or picking bugs out of the ground, and when I give the chickens their food for the day, he will only eat the leftovers! Then, I had another Rooster. He was a little mean, and he'd try to mate with the hens, and when he did, he would rip out some feathers! My big rooster would chase him in circles after that. We ended up eating him, because our hens were losing feathers, and it was bad.

Back
Top Bottom