chicken eggs compared to duck eggs?

it really depends on the type of duck.

just like chickens, ducks of different breeds lay different sized eggs and different colors. My Muscovy eggs are HUGE and won't fit in an extra large egg carton but I hatched out some rouen eggs a couple weeks ago and their eggs were the size of an average chicken egg.

The main difference is the feel of the egg- Ducks eggs have a waxy feel to them-and their shells are aLOT thicker.

Duck eggs are generally larger, my runners and Campbells average 25% larger than a large chicken egg. Duck eggs are lower in water and have a larger yolk so they are richer and cook faster when you fry them, but take much longer to hard boil.

Because they are so rich and dense you have to learn how to cook with them. For omelets, scrambled eggs. egg salad or custards I recomend 1/2 duck and 1/2 chicken eggs. Baking with them also takes some experimenting. Boxed mixes are meant to be used with water weak store bought chicken eggs so you need to add a little water to balance out the duck eggs. Same for cookign form scratch. Once you get used to them they are absolutely head and shoulders above even farm chicken eggs for baking. Your breads and cakes will be higher and so much yummier.

Keepign ducks is a huge pain but they are worth it for the eggs.

Quote:
I disagree- ducks are not hard to keep at all! Ours are quiet and are happy in their aviary. The Chickens fly over their pen and make holes in my yard and they are loud and much more smelly--plus they require a coop and all that. Chickens are are more expensive to keep and more of a pain--- but I still have them all!
smile.png

Quote:
I disagree- ducks are not hard to keep at all! Ours are quiet and are happy in their aviary. The Chickens fly over their pen and make holes in my yard and they are loud and much more smelly--plus they require a coop and all that. Chickens are are more expensive to keep and more of a pain--- but I still have them all!
smile.png

I find ducks harder to keep because to the amount of water they require to be healthy and happy. They are much much messier to keep. Mine free range when I'm home so they work the lawn for grubs which is very benefical, but they WON'T leave any of the water features alone so they are all fenced off. They also won't leave the dogs water dish alone so that has to be changed after they have ravished it. One of mine has also developed a taste for soda so an un attended glass quickly is emptied or filled with muddy duck spit.

It might just be my Campbells, but they are also foul mouthed complainers who spout profanity at every thing they consider a slight against them. They have taught my husbands bantam roosters some nasty vocabulary as well. They are a bad influence on the other birds.

Quote:
smile.png

I find ducks harder to keep because to the amount of water they require to be healthy and happy. They are much much messier to keep. Mine free range when I'm home so they work the lawn for grubs which is very benefical, but they WON'T leave any of the water features alone so they are all fenced off. They also won't leave the dogs water dish alone so that has to be changed after they have ravished it. One of mine has also developed a taste for soda so an un attended glass quickly is emptied or filled with muddy duck spit.

It might just be my Campbells, but they are also foul mouthed complainers who spout profanity at every thing they consider a slight against them. They have taught my husbands bantam roosters some nasty vocabulary as well. They are a bad influence on the other birds.

big_smile.png

We used to let ours free range but we are selling eggs and wanted to be able to find them
smile.png
We have muscovys and they don't even quack-so they are super quiet. We have a large kiddie pool for them and that is fine for them. We don't have "water features" so not a problem- I guess it really depends on your setup. My farm is set up for the farm animals so I guess I don't worry too much about it. And we hardly ever eat or drink outside so-again not a problem. And if we did ours wouldn't get that close
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom