Chicken Exhibiting Concerning Behaviour :(

ramiazaman

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2022
Hello! I’m making this post to help my friend with his chicken, i’m attaching the text he sent in regards to how she’s acting. He said after researching that most sources told him it wasn’t anything big but he’s still worried and wants to make sure it’s actually okay ! For reference, the hen is an easter egger and about 10-11 months old :3 any help is appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG_6918.jpeg
    IMG_6918.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 16
She could egg bound-but either way I would get her into a small tub with warm water and 1/8-1/4 cup epsom salt she will flip out a little at first but gently emerse her and hold onto her she will eventually let her body sink into the water and relax. If he can do this for at least 20m it should bring her relief if she is constipated or egg bound. He will also need to keep her warm wrapped in towel for a short bit if temperatures there are cold. Also put a little apple cider vinegar in her water too it will help with digestion. Good luck

Where is she bloated? What is her diet? What's her crop feel like?
hi!! tysm for replying!! according to him, its her butt area that seems bloated, and her diet is mainly layer feed with some treats here and there like mealworms and sunflower seeds, etc. When he felt her crop he said it feels squishy, almost like a water balloon. i’ll also attach a pic of her he sent me

Attachments

• 70447455435__A45DB91E-4191-4212-A6E2-E7D5AA4C1D19.jpeg
    70447455435__A45DB91E-4191-4212-A6E2-E7D5AA4C1D19.jpeg
    677.3 KB · Views: 1
She could egg bound-but either way I would get her into a small tub with warm water and 1/8-1/4 cup epsom salt she will flip out a little at first but gently emerse her and hold onto her she will eventually let her body sink into the water and relax. If he can do this for at least 20m it should bring her relief if she is constipated or egg bound. He will also need to keep her warm wrapped in towel for a short bit if temperatures there are cold. Also put a little apple cider vinegar in her water too it will help with digestion. Good luck
thank you so much!!

I wouldn't recommend bathing a poorly bird, it may send her over the edge.
She may be egg bound or have another serious issue called ascites. She also sound like the issues are causing sourcrop. Acv in the water wont cure it, she may need something stronger.
Can your friend make his own account so we can help him directly.

She may be egg bound or have another serious issue called ascites. She also sound like the issues are causing sourcrop. Acv in the water wont cure it, she may need something stronger.
yes sure!! i’ll tell him to make an account so he can reply directly here

Hey I am the friend in question. Would you recommend I try to find a vet for her? Or is there something I can do to help her from home?

Hey I am the friend in question. Would you recommend I try to find a vet for her? Or is there something I can do to help her from home?
Hi there, a vet may be need but a greater percentage of vets don't know anything about poultry.
Is the swelling between her legs or under her vent? The sour crop can be treated at home. Her picture doesn't look egg bound, it could be something like ascites or internal laying, which, unfortunately is rarely treatable

Back
Top Bottom