Chicken eye is close and its not not just one chicken I've noticed that more.Is this a disease or have cure?Pls help!

GaraP21

Chirping
Feb 28, 2023
I noticed that one of my chicken eye is closed so I ibserved them and they are more that same eye so I am alarmed if thisbis a disease that spread or something else.. some have swellimg face some are almost closing kinda teary eyed loking.Does anyone have this to their chicken?and what did you to treat them...?someone told me to use visine drops is it true to help?or any antibiotic if there is?thank you for any reply.
20230515_133415.jpg

Attachments

• 20230515_140257.jpg
    20230515_140257.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230515_140257.jpg
    20230515_140257.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230515_140313.jpg
    20230515_140313.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 3
The first picture of the eye is cloudy and could be a cataract or from infection. The foamy eye and swelling are sometimes from a chronic respiratory disease called mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) It is contagious to the flock, and all chickens in your flock will be carriers. Antibiotics such as Tylosin, Denagard, and oxytetracycline may treat symptoms. MG can be passed through hatching eggs as well as direct contact.

thank you for the information.I checked them today and used eye wash to clean their eye and there was a white stuff that flash out.then I spray them with veteyrcin eye plus.... if this do not work I will also try the antibiotic you said, where can I buy those?

The first picture of the eye is cloudy and could be a cataract or from infection. The foamy eye and swelling are sometimes from a chronic respiratory disease called mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) It is contagious to the flock, and all chickens in your flock will be carriers. Antibiotics such as Tylosin, Denagard, and oxytetracycline may treat symptoms. MG can be passed through hatching eggs as well as direct contact.
Any chance it is Coryza or ocular Mareks?

Last edited:
GaraP21, what is your general location? For the next month in the US, certain antibiotics that include Tylan 50, may be found in some feed stores. Some are still available online. But after that antibiotics will usually need to come from a vet.

Back
Top Bottom