Chicken eye swollen and watery

irishchickens101

Chirping
Aug 12, 2019
Ireland
Can someone please help tell me what to do to help my rooster?

One eye has a swollen lump beside it and is barely opened.
IMG_20230712_154424279_HDR.jpg
The other eye, I have just spent a while cleaning gently to remove some hardened yellow prices from the bottom eyelid which has helped but it still has a large white mass above it.
IMG_20230712_154342741.jpg
Both his nostrils seem to be completely blocked and/or are filled with a hardened material. He has had one eye condition (eye with swollen lump) for a little while which has slowly gotten better but the other eye was perfectly fine yesterday.
He has barely been able to drink or eat all day and I don't what to give up on him yet.
He had a wee scrap a few days ago, hence the healing cuts on his comb, but was only a couple scratches which were cleaned anyway and are looking like they're healing fine.

He is currently having a nap beside me as the last few hours were probably stressful for him but when he is awake he is very alert and chirping and noticed one of his hens outside the window with the little bits that he can see out of. IMG_20230712_154415522.jpg IMG_20230712_154355628_HDR.jpg IMG_20230712_154342741.jpg

Last edited:
Since this is both eyes, with facial swelling, it's more likely a respiratory illness. The yellow bits you got out were likely pus. There are various virus's and infections that can cause this, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum is one of the more common ones, and I do see bubbles in the one eye, which is a symptom seen with that. If vet care is an option for you, that can be diagnosed with samples taken with swabs. Treatment of symptoms is usually with Tylan or Tylosin (link to sources below), but the illness itself is chronic and symptoms can return during times of stress. Your flock will be carriers.
I would also flush the eyes out well with sterile saline, remove any pus that you can see, and apply terramycin eye ointment (available without prescription at many feed stores and tractor supply stores) or plain neosporin to the eyes several times a day.
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Terramycin-800px.jpg

Since this is both eyes, with facial swelling, it's more likely a respiratory illness. The yellow bits you got out were likely pus. There are various virus's and infections that can cause this, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum is one of the more common ones, and I do see bubbles in the one eye, which is a symptom seen with that. If vet care is an option for you, that can be diagnosed with samples taken with swabs. Treatment of symptoms is usually with Tylan or Tylosin (link to sources below), but the illness itself is chronic and symptoms can return during times of stress. Your flock will be carriers.
I would also flush the eyes out well with sterile saline, remove any pus that you can see, and apply terramycin eye ointment (available without prescription at many feed stores and tractor supply stores) or plain neosporin to the eyes several times a day.
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
View attachment 3574623
Okay thank you so much! Will probably be able to access vet tomorrow. We got new battery hens a couple months ago and all other hens have been there for years so I've a feeling it was them. Has already been washing eyes with saline and his eye drops from last vet visit. He has woken up and crowing loudly which is a lovely sign.

Do you know any tips for getting him to eat or drink?

Back
Top Bottom