Eye injury—swollen shut, lethargic

Prince and Pavo

Songster
Apr 4, 2023
My Guinea fowl’s right eye is messed up, and I just noticed it about two days ago. I was giving it some time to try and heal, hoping that it was just a temporary problem, but it’s not getting any better. I’m not sure exactly what happened, but I do know that my two peacocks like to pick on him and chase him around. I’m assuming that they were somehow able to get at his eye, even though he’s always been able to avoid them before. His eye is swollen shut and he’s been acting very lethargic and kind of just lays in a (somewhat) secluded spot most of the day. He has no other injuries as far as I can tell. He can walk around but he lets me get closer to him than he used to be comfortable with. I’m worried about him but I’m not sure what to do. I’m sure he’s got to be in a lot of pain. If anyone has any advice on what to do I’d appreciate it.
IMG_3729.jpeg
IMG_3734.jpeg
IMG_3737.jpeg
IMG_3731.jpeg
IMG_3747.jpeg

It may be an eye injury or it could be conjunctivitis and a respiratory sinus disease. I would use a warm wet washcloth as a compress to the eye for about 10 minutes a few time a day. Flush the eye with saline or eye wash and apply either Terramycin eye ointment or triple antibiotic ointment twice a day for about a week. If symptoms get worse try some Tylosin powder in the water, which treats MG/CRD. Here is where to buy Tylosin:
https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds

It may be an eye injury or it could be conjunctivitis and a respiratory sinus disease. I would use a warm wet washcloth as a compress to the eye for about 10 minutes a few time a day. Flush the eye with saline or eye wash and apply either Terramycin eye ointment or triple antibiotic ointment twice a day for about a week. If symptoms get worse try some Tylosin powder in the water, which treats MG/CRD. Here is where to buy Tylosin:
https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds
Thank you for the information. I will try to do these things as soon as possible!

Back
Top Bottom