Chicken falling over-need advice please

blondie55555

Chirping
Feb 14, 2023
Does this look like scaly leg mites? They don’t really actually look as dark as the picture. Would it make it difficult for her to stand? She’s wobbly when standing and soon falls over to right. Still eating and drinking.

I covered legs with Vaseline 2x and am following the instructions from this group for falling over, separated her, giving poultry cell and started 1 pill? Vitamin e complex in her food yesterday. No bumblefoot. Can’t find any signs of break or dislocation but not sure if I’d know.

4th day now, she might be worse-kinda leaning/falling over when sitting now. I did notice today I wasn’t giving her enough poultry cell in water, however I gave her .1 1/5 in mouth today-seemed all she could handle. I could try Vic salve on legs. I don’t know anything else to do for her, but pray. I just reviewed the picture, does it look like her left toes are crooked or just the way I’m holding her? Maybe I should try wrapping it? Also, I only see her preening left side. IMG_9535.jpeg

Any ideas besides wait and see? I have a video but can’t figure out how to load it.

I covered legs with Vaseline 2x and am following the instructions from this group for falling over, separated her, giving poultry cell and started 1 pill? Vitamin e complex in her food yesterday.

4th day now, she might be worse-kinda leaning/falling over when sitting now. I did notice today I wasn’t giving her enough poultry cell in water, however I gave her .1 1/5 in mouth today-seemed all she could handle.
How old is she and what do you feed, including treats?
Can you get a photo of her standing?

I don't think it looks like Scaly Leg Mites either.

Giving her vitamin therapy to see if it will help is a good idea.
400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex is fine to give. Poultry Cell is wonderful too, but if you are giving the E and B-Complex, you really don't need it.

How old is she and what do you feed, including treats?
Can you get a photo of her standing?

I don't think it looks like Scaly Leg Mites either.

Giving her vitamin therapy to see if it will help is a good idea.
400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex is fine to give. Poultry Cell is wonderful too, but if you are giving the E and B-Complex, you really don't need it.

She is around 13 months old. Treats are mealworms and started scratch again with weather change. I will try for a pix of her standing today. She was standing/walking with legs straight under her, but only briefly. I will also add the vitamin e. If vitamin deficiency, how long should it take to see improvement?

Any improvement would depend on the cause of her walking and balance issue. Does either leg seem weak or numb? Has she been laying eggs recently? Could the other chickens be keeping her from food or water? When one has trouble getting around, they need your to make sure they are getting enough food and water, or put it right next to them. Being egg bound, Mareks disease, mites, ear infection, vitamin deficiency can be possibilities. Hopefully, she will come out of this with time.

Back
Top Bottom