Chicken falling over

Oo wow I had no idea! Thank you so much I feel terrible I’ve been feeding him wrong all this time. So I’ve been putting rooster booster in there water and poultry cell recently in a syringe. Yes he def is a little over weight 🤦🏼‍♀️
The layer feed is not an issue. There are plenty of roosters that eat layer type feed their entire life and never fall over.
Marek's disease is much more common.

The daily treats could be part of the problem though. I recommend stopping all treats immediately for good and only feeding a commercially made pelleted or crumble feed.

Hey everyone. Im a new chicken owner. I have a rooster and a chicken and recently I’ve been beside myself trying to figure out what’s wrong. I’ve had them for three months and they’ve been perfectly fine. The other morning I came outside and I noticed my rooster was off-balance and tripping. His eyes are fine and clear. There not half open like sick chickens look. He doesn’t act lethargic. His tail is up and he’s acting pretty normal besides this falling issue. He’s eating and drinking. Maybe not as much as normal but he is. He honestly looks drunk. He doesn’t have any curling of the toes that I’ve read is associated with a vitamin deficiency. It seems his left side is affected more. I brought him to the vet and she gave me trimetoprim 80mg but I don’t see much improvement. I’ve bought every vitamin and have been trying everything. Has anyone ever seen this before or dealt with something similar? Thanks so much
God Bless you for saving their lives! We need more people that care about animals that are being neglected. I hope it all works out. He is beautiful. 👍

I would continue using the rooster booster vitamins in the feed for a couple of weeks, and stick mostly to your chicken feed. Hopefully, it is just a leg injury or sprain, and not serious like Mareks. Leg bone deformities and tendon issues can also be possible. Please update your thread and let us know if anything changes. Here is some reading about Mareks, just for info:
http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/vdl-mareks-disease-fact-sheet.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

The layer feed is not an issue. There are plenty of roosters that eat layer type feed their entire life and never fall over.
Marek's disease is much more common.

The daily treats could be part of the problem though. I recommend stopping all treats immediately for good and only feeding a commercially made pelleted or crumble feed.
So I’ve been reading that sometimes vitamin deficiencies can be mistaken for Mareks disease. He’s been like this for a week and two days. He also dazes out and kind of stares off into the distance. I’ve noticed the food I was giving him has an array of stuff in it and he picks out what he likes and leaves the rest. So perhaps he isn’t getting the right nutrition? Did you see the video does that look like Mareks to you? How long does it usually take to progress if it is Mareks?

God Bless you for saving their lives! We need more people that care about animals that are being neglected. I hope it all works out. He is beautiful. 👍
Thanks - I wish there were more people who loved animals in the world too. It’s so sad how people just disregard them as “animals” when there so much more then that. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it isn’t Mareks and something treatable 😢

Ugggh I got a silky that no longer walks.
Check if there's a similar pattern.
- Walks normal.
- Walking as it was tipsy.
- Less walking still as if it was tipsy/blind.
- Minimal walking prefers to sit or lay on his side.
-No longer walks just sits.

It's been like 3 weeks...

I've noticed that my silky is kinda blind and even though he can't talk I can tell by the way he tries to peck his food he either misses or pecks in the air.

His legs are fine no mites, bumble feet,
He can move the legs ECT...

However I been feeding with pallets that have a in 16% protein, I got other roosters and chicken but non them show this issue.

Please keeps us updated with your progress, I'll try to do the same

Ugggh I got a silky that no longer walks.
Check if there's a similar pattern.
- Walks normal.
- Walking as it was tipsy.
- Less walking still as if it was tipsy/blind.
- Minimal walking prefers to sit or lay on his side.
-No longer walks just sits.

It's been like 3 weeks...

I've noticed that my silky is kinda blind and even though he can't talk I can tell by the way he tries to peck his food he either misses or pecks in the air.

His legs are fine no mites, bumble feet,
He can move the legs ECT...

However I been feeding with pallets that have a in 16% protein, I got other roosters and chicken but non them show this issue.

Please keeps us updated with your progress, I'll try to do the same
Welcome To BYC

You may want to start your own thread about your rooster. Tacking on to other's threads when they may not be active may not get you the responses you want.
Post some photos, list symptoms, tell what type of treatment(s) you have tried, etc.

@ChristinaMc86 it is possible for a vitamin/mineral or nutritional deficiency when they pick out their favorite parts of the feed. That is what happens with a scratch and Peck type feed sometimes. A homogeneous crumble or pellet feed is best to prevent that. Let us know how he gets along with the vitamins.

Hey everyone. Im a new chicken owner. I have a rooster and a chicken and recently I’ve been beside myself trying to figure out what’s wrong. I’ve had them for three months and they’ve been perfectly fine. The other morning I came outside and I noticed my rooster was off-balance and tripping. His eyes are fine and clear. There not half open like sick chickens look. He doesn’t act lethargic. His tail is up and he’s acting pretty normal besides this falling issue. He’s eating and drinking. Maybe not as much as normal but he is. He honestly looks drunk. He doesn’t have any curling of the toes that I’ve read is associated with a vitamin deficiency. It seems his left side is affected more. I brought him to the vet and she gave me trimetoprim 80mg but I don’t see much improvement. I’ve bought every vitamin and have been trying everything. Has anyone ever seen this before or dealt with something similar? Thanks so much
is the roosters bedding just hey or is it news papper if it's just hey may i ask do you have any other roosters

Back
Top Bottom