Chicken falling over

I’ve noticed the food I was giving him has an array of stuff in it and he picks out what he likes and leaves the rest. So perhaps he isn’t getting the right nutrition?
So this is going on for 4 weeks now and Past few days it’s gotten worse. He keeps falling on his back and he can’t get up from it. I’m at a loss on what to do, I tried everything
I'm sorry to hear he's getting worse.

Did you change his feed to a pellet type feed, so he wasn't picking our just the things he liked best?
Can you get some photos of his legs and feet?

Falling on the back is usually a neurological symptom. Sadly, it may be Marek's you are dealing with, but the only way to really know for sure would be if you lose him and testing performed.

I would try giving him direct oral vitamins. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/2 tablet B-Complex daily. A treat of egg will help with the uptake of E.

I'm sorry to hear he's getting worse.

Did you change his feed to a pellet type feed, so he wasn't picking our just the things he liked best?
Can you get some photos of his legs and feet?

Falling on the back is usually a neurological symptom. Sadly, it may be Marek's you are dealing with, but the only way to really know for sure would be if you lose him and testing performed.

I would try giving him direct oral vitamins. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/2 tablet B-Complex daily. A treat of egg will help with the uptake of E.
So I had to go away for a few days and when I came back he was 100x worse. I had someone babysitting him and I don’t know if that stressed him and made whatever he has progress - but now he can’t stand or walk or basically move. He can’t eat I have to give him vitamins through a syringe and now his head is tilting to one side and one leg seems to be in front. I’m thinking it is Mareks 😢 my other chicken has no symptoms or anything. I don’t know there history since I found them. Perhaps she was vaccinated? No idea I’m so upset this happened to him he’s such a sweet boy….

So I had to go away for a few days and when I came back he was 100x worse. I had someone babysitting him and I don’t know if that stressed him and made whatever he has progress - but now he can’t stand or walk or basically move. He can’t eat I have to give him vitamins through a syringe and now his head is tilting to one side and one leg seems to be in front. I’m thinking it is Mareks 😢 my other chicken has no symptoms or anything. I don’t know there history since I found them. Perhaps she was vaccinated? No idea I’m so upset this happened to him he’s such a sweet boy….
:hugs I'm sorry to hear that. It may be time to consider letting him go.

:hugs I'm sorry to hear that. It may be time to consider letting him go.
Yes…. It definitely is….I’m looking for a vet that will put him to sleep… and also not charge me a fortune. I’m worried now though if it is Mareks - how will I get more chickens? I was reading whatever chickens you have that aren’t affected can become carriers? After I put the rooster down, I only have one hen and she’s going to be lonely…

Yes…. It definitely is….I’m looking for a vet that will put him to sleep… and also not charge me a fortune. I’m worried now though if it is Mareks - how will I get more chickens? I was reading whatever chickens you have that aren’t affected can become carriers? After I put the rooster down, I only have one hen and she’s going to be lonely…

Are you in the US?
If you are, contact your state lab, sometimes they are very reasonable with testing and may even kindly euthanize him for you. Ask them the process and pricing.
Getting testing is the only way to know for sure if he has Marek's or not. If you have a vet put him down, they may be able to do a necropsy for your or send in some samples to find out more.
You can find your state lab here https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

The Marek's virus can live in the environment for years. Some birds may never show symptoms, but yes, they can be carriers.
If you find out that Marek's is the cause of his decline, then getting vaccinated chicks, pullets or hens may be a better option for you. If they are chicks, then they would need to be quarantined for a couple of weeks until they build a little resistance. There's no guarantee that vaccinated birds won't become sick from the virus. The vaccine does not stop infection or symptoms, it only helps to reduce the chance of developing tumors.

I'm sorry this is happening. Unfortunately I don't have anything to help you at this point. Regardless of what made them ill, the inability to control the neck and move in general are usually the last stage of an illness before they pass. You did your best to do right by him, and you're willing to give him a peaceful passing. Although it doesn't feel like that was enough, he was loved and wasn't alone, you will mourn him and care for his hen, and that's more than some people ever have.

The first Vet gave you the antibiotic in case it was an ear infection, you've been giving vitamins and feeding a complete feed (even if it was layer feed), all things that should have made him improve if it were most of the simple, common things that get mistaken for Marek's. What's left are toxicity or disease.

You are correct that she will be lonely. Other than spending time with her every day, I don't know of a lot of good boredom busters that don't involve food, maybe something low calorie/high water like a watermelon would be fun, but she doesn't need to put on any extra weight. You might have to tidbit for her to let her know you're the "rooster" taking care of her for a while. Mine could literally spend all day digging around in a pile of wood chips, that might be something to try if you've got the room. Many cities give away free mulch, but don't buy any dyed or cedar mulch at the store.

I'd wait at least a month before getting any other chickens, to see if she falls ill. Hens already laying are less likely to fall ill than chicks or pullets. Maybe there's an animal rescue in your area that knows of some adult birds in need of a home. We have some poultry-only rescues here, and the normal humane societies and animal shelters get chickens more often than you think. Other chicken people might be able to help out too. Just make sure they're not dumping their problems like whoever abandoned your pair. Don't be demanding, but don't be afraid to ask questions - any keeper/breeder worth their salt is happy to teach and make sure you're both comfortable given the circumstances. Until you do find out whether it's Marek's, try to stay away from other chickens and places that sell them, and be upfront that you might have had Marek's with anyone you discuss getting birds from. Don't be offended if someone that has vaccinated birds still wants to meet you away from their flock somewhere. They can send you video of the birds for you to look at. Do be prepared for lectures or even meanness, Marek's is ubiquitous nearly worldwide now, but most people don't know or understand that, and it's not worth your time to try to explain it to someone who attacks you.

Take care and good luck. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom