Chicken flock attacked

Lizconti99

Chirping
Apr 30, 2022
Hey everyone! Thank you all in advance for help. This morning, my small flock was attacked by a raccoon. I sadly have one girl left. She has some injuries but I’m certain she’ll make a full recovery.

Here’s my question: I have baby chickens that I eventually need to add to my flock- well my one lady. I think adding the new birds to a flock is already difficult enough. There is only one chicken and she’s traumatized and hurt. How do I now introduce the four new birds? Im just worried about her and the trauma she’s been through and adding to that. I would love any and all suggestions

Thank you!!

Hey everyone! Thank you all in advance for help. This morning, my small flock was attacked by a raccoon. I sadly have one girl left. She has some injuries but I’m certain she’ll make a full recovery.

Here’s my question: I have baby chickens that I eventually need to add to my flock- well my one lady. I think adding the new birds to a flock is already difficult enough. There is only one chicken and she’s traumatized and hurt. How do I now introduce the four new birds? Im just worried about her and the trauma she’s been through and adding to that. I would love any and all suggestions

Thank you!!
This seems like a difficult situation. I would keep the one lady in a separate space, then have the little babies in the big coop. Then integrate the hen.
Anyway I'm not an expert, just saw this thread and decided I'd try to help.

Use the same method of the see and no touch for a while then allow the little ones into the run with her supervised until they are all good. Honestly i think she will take to the little ones more easily as she would be lonely and probably want other chicken attention.

But make sure to find out the way the raccoon got in and patch it up real well if you haven’t done so already.

Definitely not an expert but from what I've read, one of the first things you should probably focus on is predator issue. Make sure their coop/run is predator proof so it can't return to harm your flock. Another thing to focus on would be shock. I've read shock is the biggest thing to focus on so just keeping your girl in a dark & quiet place and making sure she's eating/drinking and treating her wounds.
Once those things are settled you can begin to focus on introducing. I've used the "see don't touch" method and it's worked really well for me. I'd have the flock see the babies while theyre in a cage for a few weeks and then let them free range with supervision. Adding lots of things to the run for distractions and hiding spots works well.

This seems like a difficult situation. I would keep the one lady in a separate space, then have the little babies in the big coop. Then integrate the hen.
Anyway I'm not an expert, just saw this thread and decided I'd try to help.
Thank you! So about an hour after I wrote this one other hen came home! She must have been hiding all day! I am so relieved!!! Not in the best shape but better than the other. Still not sure about integrating

Had the same happen when I first started out with chickens. 4 baby Isa browns. Lost 2 overnight so only had the 2 when I got coop done. Was building their run and only had plastic fencing up for temporary. Coon attack during the day got 1 of our girls. Our Lady was our only survivor. We kept her in the house til the new 7 babies were ready to go outside then had to integrate them. Took awhile, Lady was spoiled by that time and quite the bully. Lol. She still head hen 3 years later. Split the coop in half basically. Pullets on left, Lady on the right. Btw, I trapped the coon in the coop that night, and buried it the next day.

20201217_171240.jpg
20201217_170642.jpg

Thank you! So about an hour after I wrote this one other hen came home! She must have been hiding all day! I am so relieved!!! Not in the best shape but better than the other. Still not sure about integrating
Yay! Happy to hear it. I had a fox attack once, and hours later found a bird who escaped the fenced in pasture and hid in the tool shed. I found her in there and she was so stoic I almost didn't notice her.

As for your integration. I would proceed as you would normally with integrating. Let them see eachother through cage/fence. Then slowly merge. The 2 lone chickens will most likely happily accept the company... they'll still have the normal pecking order routine. But overall they will be happier with more companions.

For the racoon. Did you get it? If not, get a box trap and put some raw chicken in it. It's worked for me in the past, but make sure it has a good drop down door, I've had raccoon escape box traps before. Takes them awhile, but with enough time, they can eventually squirm their way out.

Back
Top Bottom