Chicken fluffing up and laying on eggs all day

kona26

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2015
So I have a hen that has been laying on all the eggs. I found another chicken laying on that chicken in the nesting box. Should i move the chicken when I see it sitting on the eggs for a long period of time ? What is it doing ? I went to collect eggs today and she was all puffed up on the eggs and when I went to lift her up and get the eggs she started screeching at me. Not sure what's going on. I have 6 chickens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have a broody hen.

Have you been collecting eggs on a regular basis or are you allowing her to sit on the eggs?

If you do not want any baby chicks, then continue to remove the eggs (several time per day if possible) and look on this site for information on breaking a broody hen.

If you do want chicks, and you know the eggs are fertile, then let her sit on them. After 21 days you should have chicks.

I agree...she sounds broody.

If you have a rooster, you'll get chicks in 21 days. If not, then she'll hopefully eventually give up as the eggs will eventually rot.

If you want to use a broody to hatch chicks, I find it best to give her some isolation so that the other hens don't disturb her or the eggs when they try to lay in the nest. You can set up a dog crate area or blockade her spot from the others.

If you do not want to use her, you'll have to try to break her, which can be difficult. Usually, the easiest is to block her from the nesting area completely. I personally don't prefer the cold baths or wire cages...I tend to just let them do their thing and then pull them off the nest after 28 days as they'll have begun to lose body mass by then...I pick them up and place them away from the coop with some food treats...I try to do that several times a day. Usually by then they are tiring of brooding and get back into life again.

I do find using a broody hen as THE best way to get chicks...no mess/no fuss...mom does it all.

So if you think you'll ever use her to brood, I don't break them, I simply let it run its course and treat them as stated above.

LofMc

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom