Chicken flying up on me. How to make her stop?

RhodeIslandRed5

Songster
May 28, 2019
East Texas
Every time I bend over or squat down to do something in the chicken coop, my pullet(or young hen...they're laying now) Fussbudget flops up on my back and will continue to my head. It's cute in a way, but painful at times, not to mention disgusting if her feet are filthy. If I manage to catch her in the act of squatting-preparing to fly, I'll put my hand in front of her to discourage her, but if I'm not paying attention to her, she'll get her way. What can I do to discourage Fussbudget from wanting up on me?

Every time I bend over or squat down to do something in the chicken coop, my pullet(or young hen...they're laying now) Fussbudget flops up on my back and will continue to my head. It's cute in a way, but painful at times, not to mention disgusting if her feet are filthy. If I manage to catch her in the act of squatting-preparing to fly, I'll put my hand in front of her to discourage her, but if I'm not paying attention to her, she'll get her way. What can I do to discourage Fussbudget from wanting up on me?
Almost my whole flock of 9 does this!!! I don't know if your pullets are full grown but most of mine are and let me tell ya it's not funny. All you can do is be vigilant around them and try shooing them off and say no.

Almost my whole flock of 9 does this!!! I don't know if your pullets are full grown but most of mine are and let me tell ya it's not funny. All you can do is be vigilant around them and try shooing them off and say no.
My girls aren't fully grown yet, they are approx. 5 months old but they are laying now. Fussbudget is the only one who has the obsession of wanting to get on me. Banshee has flown up on me, but she's not as obsessed with the issue as Fussbudget. I try my best to stop her in the act her when I can, but telling my girls, 'No!' like they are puppies in training....doesn't work.

I don’t have an answer. I get attacked any time I have plastic because they think it might be treats.
Lol, it makes no difference if I'm carrying anything or not. If I am bending over or squatting down to pick up eggs, move objects or petting on another chicken, Fussbudget zeros in on my back. I stick my hand in her face to discourage her when I see her in pounce mode.

Back
Top Bottom