Chicken folklore, also known as old wive's tales

Quote:
I wouldn't actually hurt the birds; they don't deserve that and besides I want them to like me. "Shove" was a bad choice of words so I apologize.

What I intend to do is to introduce the bird's head to the wingpit and see if the bird relaxes. It might take a while for the birds to get used to me enough to allow me that close. If the chicken's head doesn't reach the wing when gently encouraged to go in that direction, then it doesn't reach. Or if the chicken has other ideas, decides I'm food, and pecks me to within an inch of my life (possibly the most likely outcome), then OK, that's what we call a failed experiment.

The pullets I'm getting are a couple months old, and long past the downy stage. Which means I miss out on some of the cuteness, and go directly to the messy teenage bird stage.

yuckyuck.gif

haha that's what I was wondering...

I once had a person ask me if I would sell my guinea rats to him.
I explained they were guinea pigs.
I told him to look guinea pig up on his computer.
He told me I was wrong, he had a friend raise them and his friend called them guinea rats.
Guess what his friend did with his "guinea rats" - fed'em to his snakes!

My boys' Vo-Ag teacher told them this:

If you make a red mark on a chicken, all the other birds will attack it.

If you draw a straight line on the floor with chalk, you can place a chicken's beak on the line and it will not move for a long while.

:|

I know if I wear red toenail polish on my toes and go into the henhouse or run with flip flops on I get attacked!!...so the red mark on a chick I can see that happening...lol
ep.gif

No chalk or I would try the other as an experiment....LOL

saw this today...

Old Wives Method of Dealing with Rooster Spurs: (from someone's old wife)

Bake a medium sized potato in the microwave until fairly soft (about 8-10 minutes). When the potato is ready, cut it in half crosswise and impale half on each spur all the way to the shank of the leg. Leave them there for 1-2 minutes. The heat and humidity will soften the "horny, keratinized layer" on the spur. Using gloves, one at a time, grab the spurs firmly and twist off the hard outer layer. It should come off fairly easily. This will leave the calcar which is soft and not dangerous. The hard layer will grow back, so this procedure will have to be repeated.

has anyone tried this?

Back
Top Bottom