Chicken gender, help!

Yes, it looks like it to me, but I would wait a while longer to confirm it. The first one definitely though. At 3 weeks with that much red, there is no doubt I'm afraid. 

Did you buy straight run or were they supposed to be sexed pullets? 
they were all pullets

Allegedly!
wink.png
Do they guarantee them,,,, ie can you take male birds back and swap for pullets.... I know that's not ideal when you have grown attached to them but I guess it depends if you are in an area that allows roosters.

So are you supposed to look for redness or size? Every thread/site says different opinions.

Bearing in mind that those are wyandottes with rose combs (so it's not like they have a large single comb) that much pronounced redness in the comb at that age is screaming cockerel. Size of chick is irrelevant in my opinion. As stated by someone else, at that age pullets will have a yellow, solid looking comb which usually starts to turn pink and go fleshy about 15-16 weeks and turns red just before they start to lay. Anything that has a pink fleshy comb at this age will probably develop into a roo. Your second chick has some pinkness, so although it's not as obvious as the first one, it's definitely a maybe.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom