Chicken going broody far too often?

chickiyo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
My Silkie has been broody for 2 weeks now, and I have taken her out each day only to find her brooding back in the hutch again. I have tried taking out eggs promptly, but it doesn't really faze her, she is happy to brood on nothing at all! Its like part of my routine now: take her out, feed her, give her water and find her promptly back in the house again. She is at the bottom of the pecking order in my flock, I don't know if this could be a reason? (Maybe she just doesn't like being out with the others as they always rag on her, so she would rather explore her maternal side?)

She is just generally always broody, more often broody than not! How do I put an end to this behavior? I already tried promptly moving the eggs, are there any other ways?

Silkies go broody - that's the nature of the beast. I have had silkies raise as many as 6 batches of chicks in a year. Sometimes allowing them to raise chicks will increase the interval between broody sessions.

That's silkies for you! We bought one, well I wanted one because they are funky chickens, because they are so broody and we are raising some babies this spring, when the days are longer and warmer.

I have all silkies in my flock and yes they are broody by nature.so far I've been very blessed as mine lays every day to every other day and has not gone broody yet. I know it will happen but I've been lucky so far. I just love the silkie breed! they are so sweet and calm and tame!

Back
Top Bottom