(Chicken got a cold?) Added Info.(MS/MG,ILT,CRD,NPIP)

Quote:
PurpleChicken,

Duramycin10 for 14 days, or Tylan50 by mouth for 5 days. Either of the two will clear up CRD.

I just assume that all backyard flocks have MG/CRD because their is NO way to control wild birds. I surely can't afford a chicken house that is totally enclosed.

Quote:
You can eat the birds and their eggs. The meat will cooked enough to kill anything. I did read that you need to cook the eggs completely (hard yolks and firm white)

The only thing antibiotics do is kill bacteria, these are virus' and cannot be cured. The reason your birds had no reaction to it was that they did not have that secondary infection. You should not use antibiotics to treat non-bacterial infections, this starts antibiotic resistant strains in your birds and then the only thing you have left to do is Cull. There is no "cure" to viral infections, these can be considered bacterial, yet the walls to the cells are so fine that they cannot be "starved out" by being sealed, they work as a virus and only crops up when stress, other illness, etc wear down their immune systems.

Quote:
You are correct, antibiotics do not cure anything viral, and I also know that MG/CRD is incurable, I was just going by the package on Duramycin10 that states it's for CRD. I assume that the manufacturers of such products would know if it works on CRD or not. CRD is secondary to MG. CRD can kill if it causes a secondary infection, so why not treat them, you take a risk of losing them either way? But, that's just my opinion. There are certain antibiotics that cells are unable to become immune to. You do not have to use the same antibiotic everytime, causing an immunity to that antibiotic.

Quote:
You are correct, antibiotics do not cure anything viral, and I also know that MG/CRD is incurable, I was just going by the package on Duramycin10 that states it's for CRD. I assume that the manufacturers of such products would know if it works on CRD or not. CRD is secondary to MG. CRD can kill if it causes a secondary infection, so why not treat them, you take a risk of losing them either way? But, that's just my opinion. There are certain antibiotics that cells are unable to become immune to. You do not have to use the same antibiotic everytime, causing an immunity to that antibiotic.

No, you do not have to use the same antibiotic each time, yet how many antibiotics are on the market for access to us small scale poultry fanciers? I had one hen that went for Necropsy and there was only one antibiotic that would have cured her and I had no access to it. The vet, after talking with him would not place a bird on that particular type, he went to school for those types of things. So basically pneumonia was her death sentence because of the years that she needed them and became resistant.

Perhaps I'm being difficult but this is a issue that is not going away and we should be aware that keeping them calm, well fed, ventilated well summer and winter. Those are the treatments that work best. This article was intended to make folks aware, some claim their flocks are free of MG, I'd like to see them tested. (IMO)

Have a good night/day.

Quote:

No, you do not have to use the same antibiotic each time, yet how many antibiotics are on the market for access to us small scale poultry fanciers? I had one hen that went for Necropsy and there was only one antibiotic that would have cured her and I had no access to it. The vet, after talking with him would not place a bird on that particular type, he went to school for those types of things. So basically pneumonia was her death sentence because of the years that she needed them and became resistant.

Perhaps I'm being difficult but this is a issue that is not going away and we should be aware that keeping them calm, well fed, ventilated well summer and winter. Those are the treatments that work best. This article was intended to make folks aware, some claim their flocks are free of MG, I'd like to see them tested. (IMO)

Have a good night/day.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

I'm in a small town, so my access is probably easier. I do not even have to take my animals in, I just tell them what meds I need. I realize they are not suppose to do that, but they do here.

I use a vitamin from Foy's Pigeons called Ulitmate Vitamins and they work really well. They are reasonably priced to. Helps their immune system, feathering, stools, fertility, hatchability. Covers several issues, but my main concern was their immune systems. If you can keep their immune systems up, then they can fight off things themselves. I've been really lucky with my flock and they seem really healthy, but I do not deny the fact that more than likely they carry MG.

I personally do not think any backyard flock does not carry MG. I wasn't trying to be debative, I was just under the assumption that since Duramycin was manufactured for CRD, that it was suppose to help them get over it quicker. I'm not one to force antibiotics unless it's necessary because it messes with their gut as is does in humans as well, but if I think one might die without it, then I certainly would give the antibiotics. Antibiotics not effect animas but humans as well, If a human takes antibiotics without needing it, it can cause CDIFF, which is a very serious problem, esp in older people, so I certainly know the concerns and risk factors.

I free range my birds on the Eastern Plain of Colorado. My roo came down with a cough about three weeks ago. He still eats, poop is normal...only abnormal things were a rattle when he breathes, an occasional cough and a little purple on the tips of his comb, which seems to come and go. The other hens are normal but noticed tonight that two have clear discharge.

It seems as though I will not be able to combat these diseases. Culling will not do any good as next Fall, some wild birds will come and infect the new flock. There is no vaccine. So what do I do? I could never understand why commercial chicken houses enclosed their chickens until now. They do it to try to prevent these common diseases that we backyard breeders have. So who is really more healthy? Us, who allow them to be infected by wild birds while out in the fresh air or the commercial houses where everything is self-contained and they never see the light of day?

I am opting with just letting whatever it is take its course. My roos are 5 months old and they have lived longer than most roos do. So if this takes them out... they have lived a good life in the sunshine. If I lose my flock, I'll just keep trying. Some things I can fight as a small flock owner. This doesn't seem to be one of those Im going to win.

Thanks for the info.

After reading many concerns and what to do's concerning MG/CRD, I decided to start doing some research. This is the best that I have come up with so far. Give SpecLinx-50 for the first 7 days and then again in 4 weeks and then once a year. The first 7 days is the first 7 days of life, or as close to that as you can get them. If you are keeping them away from the main flock, then you could hatch several, give the first dose and then again in 4 weeks.

This is suppose to build up a resistance to MG/CRD. I do not know or have any proof that it does.

Back
Top Bottom