(Chicken got a cold?) Added Info.(MS/MG,ILT,CRD,NPIP)

I'm also dealing with a mild form of MG, I think! Just occasional sneezing... My girls free range and picked it up from wild birds I'm sure of.. ... It stinks bc it's my first time owning chickens... But we live in the country and we have wild birds, mice ect..... I could cull and start over but I would still have the same issues again.... So I choose to let them live happy in the sunshine too.... I never dreamed I would become so attached!! I don't think antibotics really have helped, I just try to keep their immune system up with vitamins.
Seriously, birds do sneeze. Get a grain of pollen, food dust or fluff up your nose you would too. It's great that you are keeping such a diligent eye on them, but every sneeze or watery eye is not necessarily something to be concerned about - in context. If you've got birds dropping dead and increasing sneezy snots and eye boogers going on - different story. Doesn't hurt to send off a swab or some eggs for testing periodically to see if there's anything going on in your flock you need to be aware of. May not be the case in all states but in MO they don't advocate culling for MG/MS/CRD but rather to breed for resistance - pretty much taking the position its so prevalent there's no putting the genie back in the bottle.

It's important for people to remember that not all respiratory illness is from mycoplasma, coryza, etc, sometimes it's just a bacterial infection. Though chances are pretty good that it is mycoplasma if many quite a few are showing symptoms.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Personally, I would reserve pairing the Baytril, LA200 or (there's another form of 200 by another name that just has a mild sting reducer it to but I'm spacing) for critically ill birds (or new birds that come in with problems) that require very aggressive treatment . The Denagard shows no evidence of creating resistance which is not the case with most antibiotics. BTW, while sometimes prudent to cull sick birds coming in - sometimes you need to get "clean" eggs/chicks out of them before you do. Treatment of the breeders, careful continued quarantine and warm/cold Tylan/Denagard dipping of eggs can get you there.

I've been told there are some "big name" breeders who use the Denagard prophylactic dosage for 3 days once a month every month as it boosts egg production. What does that tell you.......

Have my first URI in a peachick. Here it is at 9 am:

Four hours later:

Here he is 8 hours later. Note that I have not wiped his face.

28 hours later - still some swelling that is hard to see in pictures and some clear drainage from nostril. Up five grams, which is not enough, but it's better than a loss.

After two shots all swelling and discharge were gone. Treated four days total.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom