Chicken gurgling

leetfreq925

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Ipswich, MA
I have my sweetest Sussex making funny noises she never used to. She kinda gurgles when she breathes. There are no other signs of illness - no runny nose no sneezing. She eats fine. Runs around. I have 5 other hens. Should I jump to quarantine and antibiotics?

That does sound like the beginning of a respiratory infection. Have you had the chickens long? Some chickens can be carriers of diseases that don't show up until they are stressed. I would watch her for other signs, especially nasal drainage, eye bubbles, or swelling of the eyes or face. I had a bird recently who gurgled after I held him on his back to examine him, but he didn't do it again. Just watch. Here is some info on respiratory diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

She is a year and a half or so. She is my favorite of course so I don't think I'm going to mess around. I made her a lovely area in the garage and she is getting antibiotic in her water. I completely cleaned out the coop for the rest of the girls just in case. She is getting tetracycline for 7 days and I am keeping a very close watch on the other 5 girls back in the coop. She is out free ranging with everyone now as it's a beautiful day and I don't have to work. I hope that's ok. I couldn't stand to lock her up by herself on a day like this when everyone else got to play! She is foraging and seems to have energy. Just horrible little gurgly coughs now and again.

Tetracycline can be mixed at 2 strengths (at least the Duramycin10 brand.) If she is still gurgling in 3 days you can go up to the higher dosing of 800mg which I believe is 1 TB per gallon. Tetracycline can also be given up to 14 days if she is not better. Give her some probiotics in her food or water to help replace the good bacteria in her gut. I have heard that tetracycline is bitter tasting, and one BYCer recommends using 4 oz cranberry juice to replace some of the water in mixing it. That way she will drink it better hopefully. If you don't feel that the tetracycline is working, switch to Tylan Soluble Powder or Tylan50 injectable.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the advise. This is the first time I have encountered this and am not sure what to do. I have put 1/8 tsp duramycin-10 in 2 cups of water in her fount in her luxurious accommodations in the basement. She seems to be drinking a little. And she definitely had some energy this afternoon. I sat with her for a while just a bit ago and every breath in sounds like it is through water. And she is coughing a bit. So I think it is a very good thing to start the antibiotics. I think I am putting enough in her water as long as she drinks it. I might try some juice. What probiotics do you recommend? And hopefully by 3 days she will be breathing clearly I should continue for at least 7 days right? Poor baby. Thank you so much for any help you can offer for her.

Although yogurt has probiotics in it this one is supposed to be very good http://www.amazon.com/Vet-Plus-Prob...e=UTF8&qid=1384656333&sr=8-1&keywords=probios and there are many probitoic capsules that can also be used. Tetracycline can be used for up to 14 days, but you should be able to tell if it is working by 1 week. If it isn't doing the job, maybe try Tylan, clortetracycline, oxytetracycline, or Gallimycin.

She is sounding much worse this morning. I think I might see if I can get some tylan around here and start her on that. She loves yogurt so that won't be an issue. Thanks so much for all of your help!!

Sorry that she is worse. Start her on Tylan50 which is injectable into the breast muscle--dose is 1/2 to 1 cc/ml for 3-5 days. Some give this orally also, but give the higher dose and be careful not to choke her. For syringes and needles, you want 22 gauge and 3 cc/ml.

I got the tylan and soaked 3/4 ml into a tiny piece of bread. She are most of it! Is that a bad approach? I was nervous about the injection and figured I would try to get it orally first. I am also keeping her inside while the rest of her friends are out free ranging. She has energy to get upset at that! Haha! I will get her another dose tomorrow morning and hopefully within a couple days here he gurgles and coughs will lessen.
If I should do the injections breast is better than neck? And I just go a 1/4" in or so so that it's just under her skin right? And once a day is the right frequency?
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. First infection for my girls. Thankful it's just the one bird so far!

You're welcome. Sounds like a good way to give the meds. Giving Tylan into the muscle in the breast, the needle is inserted 1/2 to 3/4 inch straight in to the fattest part of the breast muscle. Rotate sides of breast daily. Since Tylan is for intramuscular use, I wouldn't use it subcutaneously (under the skin) in the neck, but some people do this with success. Injecting under the skin is 1/4 inch after pinching the skin up, and go straight in. There are many posts online about giving injections to a chicken. For IM injections in a chicken a 22 gauge 3/4-1 inch needle is best, unless it is penicillin which is very thick, then a larger needle (20 or 18 gauge) may be necessary. For SQ injections a 25 gauge 5/8 inch needle is used.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom