Chicken gurgling

I checked the crop this morning there seems to be more food in this chickens crop than in the rest of the ones I checked ,I checked three other of the crops and they seemed empty or very little in them all crops were full and gritty feeling last night what do I do now I give then grit about a hand full every week and a half

Ok so this chicken is a red and has been separated started using the oxytetracycline powder mixed with water for a week with no progress so I switched to Tylan50 been giving it 0.5 ml for 4 days now seems at times it sounds better but others not the chick is 10 going on 11 weeks old now has done this since the day I brought it home do I continue the antibiotics or leave it be will give it tylan 50 for a few more days but not sure what to do with this gurgling hence its our first try at these chickens ...

I had 2 hens that were broody, and I thot the noise the one was making was just broody noises at the other hens chicks. Now I realize it's definitely a gurgle. And a couple other hens and the rooster seem to be doing it too. His crow is funny, but I can't see any nasal discharge from any of them! Help!! I only have 8 hens and a rooster and 5 2month old chicks and 7 2week old chicks. What do I do? I don't have any tetracycline but I do have penicillin.

Have you added new birds from outside your flock recently? Check their crops to make sure they are emptying overnight, since a sour or impacted crop may cause gurgling. Penicillin is not that good for a respiratory disease. Tylan, oxytetracycline, or Gallimycin are commonly used, and may be available where cattle medicines are sold or from a vet. It might be best to get one or two sick birds tested to make sure of what they have, since many respiratory diseases can look alike. Viruses won't respond to antibiotics.

Have you added new birds from outside your flock recently? Check their crops to make sure they are emptying overnight, since a sour or impacted crop may cause gurgling. Penicillin is not that good for a respiratory disease. Tylan, oxytetracycline, or Gallimycin are commonly used, and may be available where cattle medicines are sold or from a vet. It might be best to get one or two sick birds tested to make sure of what they have, since many respiratory diseases can look alike. Viruses won't respond to antibiotics.

Right. I think it is a virus, because it's spread like wildfire through the whole flock. Isolating the sick ones and cleaning the coop and waterers/feeders and changing footwear made no difference. Everybody is sneezing and rattling except for the wee babies. And yes, I bought 4 chicks from a neighbor and adopted them onto my broody. So it may have come from that. I just picked up some oxytetracycline to put in their water, so I'll start that and quit the penicillin shots. Nobody has died, nobody looks like death, they are still eating and drinking. The ones that I isolated are very crabby about their new digs. Lol. So what do you think, will we get thru this??

Infectious bronchitis is a viral disease that is the most common respiratory disease in chickens. It usually affects the whole flock over several weeks. Chickens will become carriers for up to a year, so don't add or hatch new birds until that time has passed. Symptoms are sneezing and snicking, runny nose, and most adult chickens recover, although young chickens may be more severely affected. It can be complicated with other secondary bacterial infections, which would make it more serious.

Infectious bronchitis can be caused often by mycoplasma...specifically gallisepticum. It is extremely contagious as the bacteria (it is a bacteria not a virus...tylan is an antibiotic most effective against mycoplasma. Viruses are not effected by antibiotics.) is extremely small and can be carried through nasal passages of humans...it is also extremely common as many wild birds are carriers. I have a lot of experience with dealing with this and while the exposed birds will be carriers for life the symptoms are treatable and, I beliebe, preventable. I was able to deal with a poultry vet through a vet University which has helped. Foest of all doxycycline or tetracycline in water will not trwat the gurgling bird fast enough and neither will tylan soluble. Tylan 50 or 200 will burn the esophagus of a bird if administered orally and will odten cause muscle atrophy if injected intramuscularly.it should be given subcutaneously near folds of the wing and body or leg and body. Tylan 50 at o.5 cc done 2x a day for3 days at most should knock out symptoms. Often even results after the first injection. Typically mycoplasma will have some sneezing with clear discharge as the very fiest symptom after a couple days the gurgle starts and then if untreated the bubble eye will occur. Ince they get to this stage its hard to get under control and they need more injections. Denegard administered as a preventative once a month for a couple days has prevented all 50 of my carrier birds to be asymptomatic for 10 months now.
The key is isolating the first bird to show symptoms and treating it pronto.
Disinfecting the coop is a daunting task with mycoplasma simply because it is literally so small, sticks to everything and is so highly contagious. Infected birds can infect healthy birds so fast that respiratory symptoms can start in less than 5 days. Wash and disinfect feeders and waterers they might have shared at the very least with bleach

Last edited:
I would respectfully disagree with infectious bronchitis being the same thing as mycoplasma (MG.) one (IB) is a virus while MG is a mycoplasma, similar to bacteria. MG may respond to antibiotic while IB does not. However, many times these diseases may occur together with one being a secondary disease. So MG doesn't cause IB, but may be present at the same time. In all the common respiratory diseases, there can be secondary diseases. When a chicken is tested or necropsied, they may find mycoplasma gallisepticum and mycoplasma synoviae, or other diseases such as aspergillosis (a fungus,) IB, ILT, or coryza. Hopefully this helps, and it is always best to get testing done to know what you are treating.

Last edited:
Mycoplasma IS a bacteria which responds to antibiotics...which viruses do not, however telling the difference between the 2 in a flock showing very similar symptoms is difficult. You can either try a few injections of tylosin to see if you get improvement or get a vet to take a bacterial swab to grow a culture to see what bacteria you are dealing with because other bacteria can present similar symptoms. From what the poultry vet has indicated in our area, infectious bronchitis can occur simultaneously with mycoplasma but generally the mycoplasma bacteria is the primary reason for infection....often companion animal vets lump them together as being one because symptoms are so similar....however a stressed carrier bird will have an outbreak of mycoplasma when the immune system is down...which can further be attacked by outside viruses. Often the mycoplasma is the first to set in because it already in the body. That is why it is so important to treat respiratory symptoms ASAP with tylosin because usually that is the cause.

Back
Top Bottom